New York LaGuardia Airport (LGA) Information
(New York, NY, USA)
Three major airports serve New York city - the famous John F. Kennedy International (JFK)
, La Guardia (LGA) and Newark Liberty International (EWR)
. La Guardia Airport is the smallest and quietest of the three, although does serve as an important hub for notable airlines such as US Airways Express, American Eagle and American Airlines.
La Guardia resides on Long Island, being located to the east of Manhattan and on the northerly side of Queens County. This airport began its life as a private airfield in 1929 and has grown to handle a very respectable 24 million passengers every single year, with major expansion plans successfully implemented in recent years at the cost of around $350 million.
LaGuardia Airport (LGA)
Address: Hangar Center, Third Floor,
Flushing, New York 11371, USA
Tel: +1 718 533 3400
La Guardia Airport is conveniently close to central New York, lying roughly 13 km / 8 miles to the east, within the East Elmhurst area. Ground transport options are well covered, with all of the expected car rental companies operating here, along with a public bus service and taxi cabs.
New York La Guardia Airports Guide
La Guardia Airport comes with five separate terminals, each of which serves a number of different airlines, traveling to a wide range of global locations.
- Terminal CTB-A - the international terminal, serving airlines such as Air Canada, America West, Continental and Continental Express, containing gates A1 to A7
- Terminal CTB-B - serving airlines such as Legend, Shuttle America, TWA and US Airways Shuttle, containing gates B1 to B8
- Terminal CTB-C - serving airlines such as United, United Express, Spirit, Midwest Express, Frontier Airlines, American Eagle, ATA and Air Tran Airways, containing gates C1 to C14
- Terminal CTB-D - serving airlines such as American and Midway, containing gates D1 to D10
- Terminal Delta - serving airlines such as Delta, Delta Connection, Comair and Northwest, containing gates 1 to 9
- Bureau de change
- 24-hour cash machines (ATMs) and banking facilities
- Numerous restaurants, cafés and bars located throughout La Guardia
- Shopping center with many large outlets, including duty free
- Car hire companies - including Avis, Budget, Dollar, Hertz and National
- Tourist information centers
- Business center with good facilities, such as Wi-Fi, fax machines and work stations
- Conference facilities available for up to 12 people
- Short-term and long-term parking nearby and within walking distance of the terminals
- Excellent facilities for disabled passengers
La Guardia Airport has good connections to the main road network, being situated close to the Grand Central Parkway (I-278 Interstate). Driving into the city is fairly easy, via the Triborough Bridge and the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge (a toll is applicable). However, do bear in mind that downtown Manhattan is always very busy and traffic jams are commonplace, particularly during peak commuting hours.
New York City buses depart regularly from La Guardia Airport and there are good links to all districts, including the Bronx, Queens and Broadway, as well as various subway stations, Penn Station and Grand Central. Buses depart roughly every half an hour, making various stops en route. Alternatively, shared-van services are to hand, operated by companies such as Super Shuttle Manhattan, ETS and Prime Time.
Taxis are readily available and offer the ultimate in convenience, although during the busiest periods, you may need to queue up and wait patiently. Popular taxi routes include all parts of Manhattan (Lower, Mid and Upper), Brooklyn, Coney Island, Main Street, Staten Island and New Dorp Lane, together with both Kennedy International and Newark Liberty airports.