Trieste Friuli Venezia Giulia Airport (TRS) Information
(Trieste, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Italy)
Locally known as the Ronchi dei Leigonari Airport, the Trieste Friuli Venezia Giulia Airport is located in the north-eastern Italian town of Ronchi dei Leigonari, with Venice
being sited some 110 km / 69 miles to the west. This air facility serves not only Trieste and its surroundings, but the border areas of Croatia
and Slovenia, due to its location.
The facility's single terminal handles international and domestic flights, and a passenger throughput of just under a million travellers each year. Its only full-service carriers are Alitalia, Olympic Air and Lufthansa, with Alitalia offering flights to both Milan
, as well as routes to a few domestic locations through its subsidiary Alitalia CityLiner. Olympic Air handles seasonal flights to Kos
, while Lufthansa services Munich
using Air Dolomiti.
The rest of the routes offered are onboard low-cost airlines, with Ryanair being a major player and featuring flights to London Stansted
and seasonal flights to Birmingham
, Charleroi, Barcelona
. Other seasonal destinations include Samos, Palermo
and Tirana. Trieste is an often-ignored tourism destination, but is well worth a visit for its long and fascinating Friuli-Venezia Giulia history, cultural and artistic heritage, and charming architecture.
Friuli Venezia Giulia Airport (TRS)
Address: Via Aquileia 46, Ronchi dei Legionari, Italy
Tel: +39 0481 773 224
The Trieste Friuli Venezia Giulia Airport is conveniently located only a few minutes' drive from the Trieste-Venice A4, giving a fast journey to the city centre in spite of the 33 km / 21 miles distance between the two points.
Trieste Airport (TRS) Guide
- All airlines serving the facility now use e-tickets
- A bank and ATM are located in the terminal
- An IATA slight ticket office is found in the main hall
- Two airside mother and baby rooms are located after the security check area
- Facilities for the disabled are provided on request
- The Skyview Bar is to be found within the viewing terrace, on the terminal's upper floor, being open to both visitors and passengers
- Trieste car hire includes Avis, Sixt, Hertz, Europcar, Locauto and Maggiore, with supplier desks located in the Arrivals hall
- The Skyview Restaurant, set close to the bar on the upper level, serves lunch and dinner
- An airside bar serving drinks and snacks resides within the Departures area
- The VIP Lounge is located in the Departures hall, after the security check area and before gates 8 and 9
- Business and conference facilities with catering, if required, are found in the terminal
- Long-term and short-stay parking is provided
Driving to Trieste from the airport presents no difficulty, as the A4 motorway (autostrada) runs direct to the city and is well-signposted. The drive takes around 40 minutes, while closer by you will find destinations such as Aquileia, Cervignano del Friuli, Duino Aurisina, Grado, Monfalcone and Palmanova.
Trieste's airport is well-served by bus routes, with public bus number 51 running to the city's bus station, which is adjacent to the main rail station. This trip should last approximately 55 minutes. ATP Public Company offers a coach service to the city, as well as services to other nearby locations, including Monfalcone and Udine.
Taxis and Limousines
Metered taxis and shared minibuses can be found outside the Arrivals hall or can be booked online in advance, as can private limousine transfers to hotels. If taking a taxi from the airport to Trieste, make sure to agree on any extra charges for luggage before you set off. Consorzio Taxi Aeroporto FVG is the principal cab company based here and can be reached on tel: +39 0481 778 000.