Melbourne Skiing and Snowboarding
(Melbourne, Victoria - VIC, Australia)
When the summer season arrives in Europe and the USA, it is winter in Australia. During this time of the year, the Melbourne area attracts many keen outdoor enthusiasts, looking to enjoy a spot of skiing and winter sports in general.
There are a number of truly exceptional ski resorts based around Victoria and within reasonable reach of Melbourne, the most popular of which are connected by regular buses and even some flights. The Alpine skiing opportunities are at their very best around the High Country, with Mount Baw Baw being especially close and encircled by national parkland.
Mount Baw Baw lies roughly 160 km / 100 miles to the east of Melbourne and offers a convenient location where winter sports lovers can try their hand at cross-country skiing, snowboarding and even tobogganing. There are more than 15 ski-runs here, being accompanied by seven ski lifts and areas where beginners can practice.
- The High Country - the popular alpine region situated in the north-eastern area of Victoria, around four hours' drive from central Melbourne
- Victoria Ski Resorts - to the north-east, including scenic Alpine areas
- Falls Creek - around 375 km / 234 miles from the city, home to some of the best cross-country skiing in Australia
- Lake Mountain - one of the closest skiing resorts to Melbourne, with impressive cross-country skiing facilities and breathtaking mountain views
- Mount Baw Baw - a small skiing resort close to Noojee, ideal for the less experienced skiers
- Mount Buffalo - nearby the Victoria / New South Wales border, with both gentle and challenging ski slopes
- Mount Buller - one of the most popular skiing resorts in the area, around three hours' drive from Melbourne city
- Mount Hotham - close to the Hotham area, featuring the highest ski resort in Victoria, excellent off-piste runs, Alpine skiing and snowboarding
- Other Ski Resorts - these include Mount Bogong, Mount Donna Buang, Mount Saint Gwinear and Mount Stirling, all of which are within reach of the city
All of the ski resorts nearby Melbourne have a number of hotels, providing relatively inexpensive accommodation and helpful visitors' centres, where you can find out all the current tourist information. Skiwear is also readily available and various rental shops are based across the resorts, hiring out skis, snowboards, snow shoes, jackets and goggles.
Winter activities include mountain biking, guided tours of the mountains, night skiing, outdoor adventure schools, leisure centres, a snow sports school and walking trails. During the milder summer months, activities include bobsled, rock climbing, abseiling, day trips, fishing, horse riding, children's activities, mountain biking, swimming, tennis and walking.
Dinner Plain Alpine Village
Address: Dinner Plain, Victoria (VIC), 3898, Australia
Tel: +1 800 354 555
Falls Creek Ski Resort
Address: Falls Creek, Victoria (VIC), 3699, Australia
Tel: +1 800 033 079
Lake Mountain Ski Resort
Address: Marysville, Victoria (VIC), 3779, Australia
Tel: +61 (0)3 5963 3288
Mount Baw Baw
Address: Mount Baw Baw Alpine Village, Mount Baw Baw, Victoria (VIC), 3833, Australia
Tel: +1 800 629 578
Mount Buller Ski Resort
Address: Mount Buller, Victoria (VIC), 3723, Australia
Tel: +61 (0)3 5777 6077
Address: Mount Buffalo Alpine Village, Mount Buffalo, Victoria (VIC), 3740, Australia
Tel: +1 800 037 038
Address: Mount Hotham Alpine Resort, Mount Hotham, Victoria (VIC), 3741, Australia
Tel: +1 800 35 45 55
Address: Mount Stirling Alpine Village, Mount Stirling, Victoria (VIC), 3722, Australia
Tel: +61 (0)3 5777 6077