Perth Gay and Lesbian Scene
(Perth, Western Australia, Australia)
Those who are very much out and proud, and choosing to pay a visit to the city of Perth, will be pleased to learn that there is a very established and welcoming gay community present. There are a number of LGBT bars and clubs dotted around some of the most prominent neighbourhoods in the city, meaning that when the sun sets, you can let your hair down and party until the early hours of the following morning.
Many of the gay venues in Perth tend to be centred around the Fremantle and Northbridge areas, where themed party nights and live cabaret acts are all part of the fun. These include:
- The Aviary - William Street (just across from the Raine Square Shopping Centre, off Wellington Street)
- Connections Nightclub - 81 James Street (Northbridge, just down the road from the State Library of Western Australia)
- The Court - 50 Beaufort Street (Northbridge, near the Western Australia Museum)
- Geisha Bar - James Street (Northbridge, a stroll away from the Wellington Street Bus Station)
- Luxe Bar - Beaufort Street (Highgate, close to St. Albans Anglican Church)
Also very much of note to gay men visiting Western Australia is the busy Perth Steam Works Sauna, which is located on William Street, in the Northbridge area and just off Newcastle Street.
LGBT gay and lesbian friendly beaches offer a chance to be yourself in the Perth area. These include the City Beach Floreat, which is to be found sandwiched in between Cottesloe and Scarborough. Floreat Beach is another gorgeous stretch of sand and is situated south of City Beach. The northern side of Swanbourne Beach is a very popular spot for nudists looking for an all over tan, and is also a good place for experienced surfers and sailboarders alike.
LGBT Festivals and Events
The Perth Gay Pride Festival regularly attracts more than 100,000 people and usually begins in the early part of November, lasting for the majority of the month. It is the Rainbow Nation Parade that really gets the partying started and this colourful procession starts on the corner of Brisbane Street and William Street, heading down James Street and then finally reaching Russell Square, where live music on the main stage is soon underway (part of the Celebration event).
Other LGBT Gay and Lesbian Events in Perth include:
- Fairday - early February, market stalls, street entertainment and a dog show, at Hyde Park
- Reclaim the Night - last Friday each October, a lively march starting at 18:30 from Kings Square, Fremantle
- Western Australian Gay Olympics - November, sports event
Address: 93 Brisbane Street, Northbridge, Perth, Western Australia (WA), 6000, Australia
Tel: +61 (08) 9228 0354
Established in 1994, the Perth Freedom Centre offers all kinds of support and advice, regardless of sexuality and gender. The centre is easy to find and from the train station, it can be reached in approximately ten minutes on foot.