Savannah Events and Festivals
(Savannah, Georgia - GA, USA)
Visitors to Savannah will struggle to find a significant period in the city's calendar without any seasonal things to do, events or festivals of some description. With some 200 city-wide festivals and events each year, Savannah is the place to go to find entertaining, cultural and ethnic celebrations.
Highlights include Savannah's St. Patrick's Day celebrations, which are famous for being among the biggest in the US, second only to New York City.
National Public Holidays
- 1st January - New Year's Day
- Third Monday in January - Martin Luther King Day
- 12th February - Lincoln's Birthday
- Third Monday in February - Washington's Birthday
- Last Monday in May - Memorial Day
- 4th July - Independence Day
- First Monday in September - Labor Day
- Second Monday in October - Columbus Day
- 11th November - Veterans Day
- 4th Thursday in November - Thanksgiving
- 25th December - Christmas Day
Calendar of Festivals and Events 2014 / 2015
- Annual Martin Luther King Jr. Observance Day Celebration - the city of Savannah pays tribute to one of the country's most famous civil rights pioneers.
- The annual Taste of Savannah - an event that sees the city's greatest chefs dishing up their finest creations for visitors and residents to sample. National food magazine writers judge the food in categories such as taste, decoration and presentation.
- Georgia Heritage Celebration's Colonial Faire and Muster - held on the 12th of February. The Celebration has been a tradition in Savannah since 1734 and seeks to promote greater appreciation and understanding of Georgia' history.
- Black Heritage Festival - this annual event sees the city's African-American population celebrate its history and heritage in the Savannah area with musical and dance performances, art displays, lectures and more. Visitors of all ethnicities are welcome.
- Savannah Irish Festival - begins the third weekend of the month. Savannah's Celtic residents and descendants gather to celebrate all that's great about the Emerald Isle with live musical performances, food, stalls and much more.
- St. Patrick's Day Celebrations - March 17th, an annual event marking the official day with a giant parade. Spilling over into the closest weekend, the event frequently draws more than 250,000 guests. Savannah celebrates the life of Ireland's most famous character with style and gusto.
- Savannah Music Festival - mid to late March, Savannah's annual music festival is a two-week affair held in the historic district. Regional, national and international talents are on-hand to provide guests with musical performances from a variety of genres including jazz, world, blues and classical.
- Broughton Street International Festival - this annual festival is staged by the Savannah College of Art and Design and includes international food sampling, dance and music performances and a fashion show.
- Spring Fling Art and Music Festival - the Spring Fling Art and Music Festival is an annual affair that sees performances and displays of music and art from more than 50 local artists.
- Savannah Seafood Festival - early May, this annual affair gives visitors the chance to sample some of the best seafood in Georgia while enjoying live entertainment and a daily beach party.
- Scottish Games Festival - residents and visitors can enjoy Celtic-influenced fun at this popular annual event. Besides competitions such as 'tossing the caber', there's traditional Scottish food, music and cultural displays.
- Savannah Asian Festival - members of Savannah's Asian community gather to celebrate all that is great about their collective cultures. Visitors will find stalls with traditional food and cultural displays as well as workshops in subjects such as Indian Henna Skin art, Chinese calligraphy and Filipino Bamboo Pole Dancing.
- Fourth of July on the Waterfront - celebrate Independence Day down at Savannah's waterfront with a plethora of festivities including music, food and fireworks.
- Seafood and Music Festival - held on Tybee Island, this two-day event is another opportunity to celebrate the city's fantastic local cuisine. Visitors can see local and national musical acts while enjoying some fantastic island cuisine.
- Savannah Gay Pride Festival - attracting large crowds of gay and lesbian visitors to the city, with parties, concerts, parades and general festivities.
- Savannah Jazz Festival - late September, the Savannah Jazz Festival is a must for lovers of both jazz and blues. Visitors can experience live performances by local and regional musicians at a variety of venues around the city.
- Savannah Film Festival - late October, the Savannah Film Festival showcases the work of the best independent directors from around the world. The event is staged by the Savannah College of Art and Design.
- Savannah Greek Festival - late October, visitors to the Savannah Greek Festival will find the city's Mediterranean residents assembled to celebrate their cultural niceties. Expect traditional food, music and performances.
- Savannah Harbor Boat Parade of Lights - late November, Savannah marks the beginning of the holiday season with an amazing waterfront display in which more than 60 festively decorated boats make their way down the Savannah River. The event concludes with a magnificent firework display.
- Christmas on the River - early December, Savannah's Christmas on the River celebration is a popular, well-attended event that sees arts and crafts displays, holiday festivities, a parade and much more. There is something for all the family at this busy seasonal event.