Santa Barbara Events and Festivals
(Santa Barbara, California - CA, USA)
Santa Barbara celebrates the customs and traditions of its diverse population with annual festivals, exciting events, seasonal activities and a host of things to do throughout the year.
Many of Santa Barbara's largest events are hosted outdoors in Oak Park or along the beachfront, as well as on State Street, and are marked by a lively atmosphere, local foods, wine tastings, music and dance.
National Public Holidays
- 1st January - New Year's Day
- Third Monday in January - Martin Luther King Day
- 12th February - Lincoln's Birthday
- Third Monday in February - Washington's Birthday
- Last Monday in May - Memorial Day
- 4th July - Independence Day
- First Monday in September - Labor Day
- Second Monday in October - Columbus Day
- 11th November - Veterans Day
- 4th Thursday in November - Thanksgiving
- 25th December - Christmas Day
Calendar of Festivals and Events 2014 / 2015
- New Year's Day Hang Gliding and Paragliding Festival - early January, located in Elings Park, the celebrations are marked by picnics, music and watching the gliders overhead.
- International Film Festival - early February, the film festival showcases new movies from around the globe and is attended by Hollywood stars.
- Santa Barbara Whale Festival - late March, an annual whale watching event with a children's carnival, diving demonstrations and rubber duck races.
- International Orchid Show - late March, one of the most prestigious orchid shows featuring amateur and commercial growers from around the world.
- Earth Day Celebration - late April, lively celebrations at the County Courthouse with fairs powered by solar energy, food, song, dance and local clean-up hikes.
- Santa Barbara Fair and Expo - late April, a five-day event showcasing livestock, agricultural, commercial and educational exhibits as well as a complete amusement park.
- Cinco De Mayo - early May, held at De La Guerra Plaza this annual festival features food vendors and live music all weekend.
- Irish Festival - late May, celebrating Irish culture with live music and dancing, food, costumes and everything green.
- Santa Barbara Jewish Festival - late May, celebrating Jewish tradition and culture with dance, food, arts and crafts and children's activities.
- Vintner's Festival - late May, a large wine tasting event with local varieties available for sampling and an eclectic mix of foods from local eateries.
- Caribbean Festival - mid-June, popular family event with live music and dancing, local arts and crafts, various food vendors and activity booths.
- Summer Solstice Parade - the largest event in Santa Barbara, this grand street carnival features parades, costumes, performers, music, dance and food.
- Touring and Tasting Wine Festival - early July, featuring over 70 of California's leading wine vendors, offering samplings on the beach.
- Santa Barbara French Festival - mid-July, held on Bastille Day, this weekend event features folk dancing, Cajun groups, food, wine and family entertainment.
- Santa Barbara Greek Festival - late July, celebrating Greek heritage with food vendors, music, art, parades and pastry workshops.
- Old Spanish Days Fiesta - early August, celebrates the culture and traditions of American Indian, Spanish, Mexican and early American settlers with live music performances, food and parades.
- Santa Barbara Open Studios Tour - early September, dozens of professional artists open their studios for public viewing.
- Santa Barbara Festival of Art and Jazz - early October, hosted in the gardens of the County Courthouse this festival celebrates art, music, food and wine.
- California Lemon Festival - mid-October, held in Girsh Park the annual festival features live bluegrass, country, folk and pop music, arts and crafts booths, and an eclectic blend of lemon based recipes.
- Latino Film Festival - early November, hosted by the Museum of Mexico, the festival showcases films by various Latino directors.
- Annual Holiday Parade - early December, holiday floats, marching bands and local performance groups parade down State Street.
- Holiday Boat Parade of Lights Gala - mid-December, a benefit event featuring the parade of lights, food, wines tasting, live music and a silent auction.<