Genoa Life and Visitor Travel Tips
(Genoa / Genova, Liguria, Italy)
With beaches, coastal attractions and one of the most beautiful shorelines in the whole of northern Italy, it is easy to immediately recognise the charm of Genoa. The city of Genoa lies within the very heart of the coastline and is close to many charming and appealing towns, such as Portofino, which is situated just 39 km / 24 miles to the south-east.
Genoa has grown to become the busiest port in the whole of Italy and contains the majority of the region's top sights and natural attractions. Life in Genoa is at its busiest during the sunny summer months, when tourists flock to Italy's popular Liguria area, better known as the Italian Riviera. Some useful travel tips are shown below.
Useful Contact Details
Tourist information centres and booths can be found scattered around the city at the following locations:
- Genoa Cristoforo Colombo Airport (GOA)
Tel: +39 010 601 52 47 (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- City Centre / Piazza Giacomo Matteotti
Tel: +39 010 24 87 11 (Website: www.apt.genova.it)
- Genoa Ferry Terminal
Tel: +39 010 246 36 86
- Porto Antico / Magazzini del Cotone
Piazza delle Feste
- Stazione Principe (Train Station)
Tel: +39 010 246 26 33
Language and Dialect
As with the country as a whole, Italian is the language of Genoa, although regional Italian dialects also include Genoese and Ligurian. A few words of Italian will always go a long way with the locals.
Here are a few phrases to start with.
- Hello - Salve
- Yes - Si
- No - No
- Is there? - C'è?
- I would like to order now. - Vorrei ordinare ora.
- I don't like... - Non mi piace...
- Where is a cheap hotel? - Dov'è un albergo a buon prezzo?
- What is the address? - Qual'è I'indirizzo?
- I'm lost! - Mi sono perso!
- Where is the closest train station? - Dov'è la stazione più vicina?
- Please can you show me on the map? - Può mostrarmelo sulla pianta, per favore?
- Where can we purchase tickets? - Dove si comprano i biglietti?
- My name is ... - Il mio nome e'...
Dos and Don'ts
- Bookshops - a selection of English-language books and maps are sold at stores on the Via XX Settembre and the Palazzine Milo
- Internet Access - a passport will be required for registration purposes at various access points around Genoa, such as the Libreria Mondadori on the Via XX Settembre and the Nonedove Internet Point on the Corso Buenos Aires
- Laundrettes - the most popular laundrettes are situated on the Via della Maddalena and the Molo Ponte Morosini
- Left Luggage - cases can be left at both Genoa's Stazione Brignole and also the Stazione Principe train stations. A nominal charge is made per 24 hours
- Money and Banks - the majority of banks in Genoa can be found along the Via Fieschio, next to the Via XX Settembre. Plenty of cashpoints are scattered around the city
- Post Office - the main post office is located on the Piazza Piccapierta, while a further branch is sited within the Stazione Principe
- Smoking - those wishing to smoke in Genoa will find that since January 2005, smoking has been restricted in all enclosed public spaces
- Travel Agencies - the Piazza della Vittoria is home to both the Geotravels and Pesci Viaggi e Turismo agencies, while the Touring Club Italiano lies on the Piazza Giacomo Matteotti