Christchurch International Airport (CHC) Information
(Christchurch, Canterbury, South Island, New Zealand NZ)
The important city of Christchurch, on the South Island, is simple to reach by air from major international and regional airports in New Zealand, Australia and many other locations around the world.
Christchurch International Airport (CHC) provides a major international gateway and comes with a number of large airlines, including the likes of Air Chathams, Air New Zealand, Air Pacific, AirAsia X, Emirates, Jetstar Airways, Qantas, Singapore Airlines and Virgin Australia. Currently, each month sees roughly 500,000 passengers and some 12,000 aircraft movements.
Christchurch Airports Guide
Christchurch International Airport (CHC)
Address: Memorial Avenue, Christchurch, Canterbury, South Island, New Zealand NZ
Tel: +64 (0)3 358 5029
Christchurch Airport can be found just 12 km / 7 miles from the city centre. This is one of New Zealand's largest and was founded all the way back in 1940. Over the subsequent decades, the site has seen continued expansion, with a new control tower being erected in 2009. Passengers will find a sizeable landside food and retail area, and modern departures and arrivals lounges, with a major refurbishment and renovation programme recently being completed in 2009.
Christchurch Airport has two large terminals - domestic and international. Domestic airlines connect destinations throughout New Zealand, such as Auckland, Blenheim, Dunedin, Hamilton, Hokitika, Invercargill, Mount Cook, Napier, Nelson, New Plymouth, Palmerston North, Queenstown, Rotorua, Tauranga, Wanaka and Wellington.
- 24-hour cash machines (ATMs), bureau de change and banking facilities
- A selection of restaurants, cafés and bars, including Burger King, Grab and Fly, Healthy Habits, Noodle, the Sakura Sushi Bar, Trattoria Milano, the Underground Coffee Company and Wishbone
- Numerous shops and retail areas, including Antarctic Attraction, Antarctica, Ballantynes, Global Culture, the iSite Travel & Tourism Centre, JR Duty Free Departures and Arrivals, Luggage Solutions, MAC Cosmetics, Relay, Travelex Currency Exchange and Vodafone Rental
- Modern check-in facilities and air-conditioned terminal buildings
- Runway and airline viewing areas
- Car hire companies - including Avis Rent-A-Car, Backpacker Campervans, Britz Campervans, Budget Rent A Car, Economy, Explore More Rentals, Hertz and Thrifty
- Business facilities, conference rooms and meeting rooms available at the International Antarctic Visitors' Centre and also at the Sudima Hotel Grand Chancellor
- Photocopying, fax machines and telephones available at the Information Desk
- Short-term parking and long-term parking areas with direct access, as well as drop-off and pick-up zones
- Special facilities for disabled passengers. Wheelchairs are readily available, although these should usually be booked in advance
- Other facilities include travel and information desks, luggage storage, luggage trolleys, large airline lounges and a playground area for young children
The centre of Christchurch is within easy reach. Memorial Avenue links to a number of nearby main roads and prominent destinations, including Hagley Park, which leads to Fendalton Avenue, Harper Avenue and Colombo Street. Central Christchurch is well signposted from the airport and the journey takes up to 25 minutes, or possibly longer during periods of heavy traffic. Those choosing to rent a car will find plenty of familiar brands, although the iSite Travel and Tourism team are able to arrange specific vehicles if required.
Buses operate at regular intervals and are available all day from Monday to Friday, and between 11:00 to 16:30 on Saturday and Sunday. Lasting around 30 to 40 minutes, bus travel into Christchurch is the most inexpensive way to reach the city.
Shared shuttle buses are a popular method of transport and this handy minibus service connects the airport with any address in the city centre. Regular shuttle buses leave from the terminal buildings, with the cost depending upon the number of passengers. Shuttle companies operating here include Great Sights, Knight Rider, Newmans Coachlines and West Coast.
A large quantity of taxis are located outside Christchurch Airport and the ranks are close to the terminal buildings, being found next to both the International Arrivals Hall and the Regional Lounge. Travellers can choose between taxi companies such as Blue Star, Corporate Cabs and Green Cabs.