San Gimignano Maps and Orientation
(San Gimignano, Tuscany, Italy)
A beautiful hilltop town located directly north of central Italy and surrounded by medieval walls, San Gimignano resides within the region on Tuscany and within the Siena province. San Gimignano is therefore well placed to allow tourists to see many wonderful Tuscan sights and is a relatively short distance from Florence
and its breathtaking Duomo cathedral.
The Porta San Giovanni is the main gateway into San Gimignano and resides at the southern side of the town. The adjacent Via San Giovanni leads towards the town centre in a northerly direction, reaching the central squares of the Piazza del Duomo and also the Piazza Della Cisterna. Both the Piazzadelle Erbe and the Piazza Pecori are also nearby and in this part of the town.
Maps and Orientation of the Town
To reach the northern side of San Gimignano and its Porta San Matteo gateway, you will need to head along either the Via delle Romite or alternatively the Via San Matteo. The Porta San Matteo is sited next to the Via Cellolese and close to the Piazza San Agostina.
Maps of San Gimignano are best obtained at the tourist office on the Piazza del Duomo, which is open daily, at 09:00 to 13:00 and 15:00 to 19:00 between March and October, and from 09:00 to 13:00 and 14:00 to 18:00 between November and February. From March to October, Monday to Saturday, walking tours of San Gimignano begin from the Piazza del Duomo in the afternoon.
- Arezzo - 105 km / 65 miles (one hour and 30 minutes, east)
- Assisi - 169 km / 105 miles (two hours and 25 minutes, south-east)
- Castel San Gimignano - 14 km / 9 miles (20 minutes, south)
- Castelfiorentino - 22 km / 14 miles (30 minutes, north)
- Certaldo - 12 km / 7 miles (15 minutes, north)
- Colle di Val d'Elsa - 15 km / 9 miles (22 minutes, south-east)
- Florence (Firenze) - 60 km / 37 miles (one hour and 10 minutes, north-east)
- Lucca - 122 km / 76 miles (one hour and 45 minutes, north-west)
- Montalcino - 86 km / 53 miles (one hour and 35 minutes, south)
- Monteriggioni - 25 km / 16 miles (40 minutes, south-east)
- Pistoia - 95 km / 59 miles (one hour and 25 minutes, north)
- Pisa - 77 km / 48 miles (one hour and 20 minutes, north-west)
- Poggibonsi - 13 km / 8 miles (20 minutes, east)
- Prato - 69 km / 43 miles (one hour and 12 minutes, north)
- Quartaia - 15 km / 9 miles (25 minutes, south)
- San Miniato - 37 km / 23 miles (50 minutes, north-west)
- Siena - 45 km / 28 miles (50 minutes, south-east)
- Volterra - 31 km / 19 miles (35 minutes, south-west)
Map of Italy
Map of San Gimignano