San Gimignano Events and Festivals
(San Gimignano, Tuscany, Italy)
A Tuscan town offering a wide choice of things to do, whatever the season, San Gimignano boasts a number of popular events and religious festivals, many of which are public holidays throughout Italy. The most noteworthy of these events include Liberation Day in April, Labour Day in May, Republic Day in June, and the very colourful Feast of the Assumption festival each August.
As summer arrives, the town of San Gimignano chooses to take full advantage of the fine weather. Each year in the middle of June, San Gimignano hosts its ever-popular Medieval Festival, which is known locally as the 'Ferie delle Messi'. This fun-packed event is something for all the family and features a true taste of medieval Italy, with jousting, juggling, entertainment and all kinds of acrobatics.
San Gimignano Calendar of Festivals and Events 2014 / 2015
Between June and August, the San Gimignano Summer Music Festival takes place and features a number of concerts, music events, ballet and theatrical performances. Opera lovers will find plenty to be pleased about in August, with various operatic concerts staged around the Piazza del Duomo.
Also in August are the Saint Fina Festival of Thanks, Saint Fina's Fair, the Festival of Saint Augustine, and the Saint Augustine Fair, held on the Piazza del Duomo, the Piazza dell'Erbe and the Piazza della Cisterna. Wine tasting events are also popular during San Gimignano's summer, while for some even bigger festivals and celebrations, check what's on nearby, and particularly on the Florence Calendar of Events
Below is a list showing the national public holidays recognised in San Gimignano and Italy:
- New Year's Day (Anno Nuovo / Capodanno) - January 1st)
- Epiphany (Befana / Epifania) - January 6th
- Easter Monday (Lunedi dell'Angelo / Pasquetta) - March / April
- Liberation Day (Giorno della Liberazione) - April 25th
- Labour Day (Festa del Lavoro) - May 1st
- Republic Day (Festa della Repubblica) - June 2nd
- Feast of the Assumption (Ferragosto / Assunzione) - August 15th
- All Saints' Day (Ognissanti) - November 1st
- Feast of the Immaculate Conception (Immaculata Concezione) - December 8th
- Christmas Day (Natale) - December 25th
- Boxing Day (Festa di Santo Stefano) - December 26th