Knoxville McGhee Tyson Airport (TYS) Information
(Knoxville, Tennessee - TN, USA)
The McGhee Tyson Airport is a joint use military / commercial aviation hub serving the metropolitan area of Knoxville, a city which is known across the world as the heartland of American country music. The facility also serves as a gateway to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and its exclusive Gatlinburg resort, with visitors to the attractions making up a good proportion of its approximately two million annual passengers.
Opened in the late 1920s and originally named after a local pilot killed during WWI, Knoxville's present day airport holds a revamped and modernized terminal on two levels, with concourses, a restaurant and a food court. The top level contains ticketing counters, security checkpoints, shops, eateries and gates, with the ground level being used for baggage claim and car rental services.
Major US carriers such as Delta, United and US Airways offer domestic flights through various subsidiary airlines, with favorite destinations including the likes of Atlanta
. The facility is also a regional cargo hub for Fedex and UPS, and hosts general aviation and military flights.
McGhee Tyson Airport (TYS)
Address: 2055 Airport Highway Alcoa, Knoxville, Tennessee TN, 37701, USA
Tel: +1 865 342 3000
The McGhee Tyson Airport is located 12 miles / 19 km south of Knoxville's downtown district, with the drive taking around 40 minutes in good traffic conditions. However, during rush hours and holidays, traffic inside the city limits tends to be heavy, adding to the journey time.
McGhee Tyson Airport (TYS) Guide
- An airport information desk is located in the terminal
- ATMs are mostly found on the upper level
- A business center offering Internet access and fax, printing and photocopying services is located on the upper level, after security
- VIP lounges offering refreshments and further business services are found on the upper level
- Car rental available through Alamo, Avis, Thrifty, National, Hertz and Budget
- The Hilton Knoxville Airport Hotel is located within the complex
- Services for the disabled include parking, ramps, washrooms, wheelchairs and assistance
- A gift shop and newsagent are found on the terminal's upper level
- Mostly located in the Departures lounge is a good choice of eateries, cafés and bars, serving everything from grills and international dishes to fast food
- Long- and short-stay parking is available
The road trip from the airport to downtown Knoxville is straightforward and well-signposted via the Alcoa Highway (SR-115 / US-129). As you drive northwards along the Alcoa Highway you will pass by the Sherwood Memorial Gardens, the Blount County Access Area and the IC King Park, as well as the campus of the University of Tennessee. This route links with the I-140 interstate (Pellissippi Parkway), which heads off to the northwest and intersects the I-40 and I-75, while connecting Eagleton Village to the southeast.
Public transport options are practically non-existent here, with one infrequent bus service linking the terminal with the city. However, three shuttle bus providers offer regular services to various destinations in the city, as well as to regional destinations, and most large hotels offer their own shuttles from the airport.
A choice of registered taxi services is available at stands outside the Baggage Claim hall. Alcoa, Eagelton Village and Maryville are all extremely close by and easily reached by taxi, while the towns of Farragut (north-west) and Walland (south-east) are a little further afield. A limousine company is also based at the airport and offers luxury transportation to and around the city of Knoxville.