Oakland International Airport (OAK) Information
(Oakland, California - CA, USA)
Oakland International is one of three airports located within the San Francisco Bay Area. This busy facility in the southeastern suburbs of Oakland city handles approaching 10 million passengers a year, offering regular, daily domestic flights to many US cities and a few regional international flights to Mexico
. Its major carriers, which use the city as a crew base, are Southwest and Allegiant Air. Alaska Airways also has a strong presence at the facility, along with its subsidiary, Horizon Air.
Many travelers, particularly those on business trips, prefer to use Oakland International Airport over the region's main air hub, San Francisco International Airport
, as this smaller facility is well-known for its high percentage of on-time arrivals. The airport first opened in 1927 and has a place in aviation history due to Charles Lindberg's participation in its opening ceremony. During WWII, the complex became a Naval Air Station and played a vital part as a departure hub for the US military during the Vietnam War.
The facility has two terminals and is served by 16 airlines which offer routes to all major US cities, as well as to Mexico City
and several other popular Hawaiian holiday destinations. Charter flights and general aviation are also served here, with the most popular destinations including Los Angeles
, Las Vegas
Oakland International Airport (OAK)
Address: 1 Airport Drive, Oakland, California CA, 94621, USA
Tel: +1 510 563 3300
Oakland International Airport is situated adjacent to the I-880 interstate (Nimitz Freeway), some 12 miles / 19 km from the city's Central Business District. The site stands close by Alameda, Brookfield Village, Mulford Gardens and San Leandro, and next to the Oyster Bay Regional Shoreline park. Of note, the fast road system in and around San Francisco Bay is well-signposted and easy to navigate.
Oakland International Airport (OAK) Guide
- ATMs are found in both terminals, along with WiFi access and laptop plug-in points
- Information desks are found in both terminals
- A business lounge with Internet access is located adjacent to International Gate 8A in Terminal 1
- A wide choice of eateries, bars, cafés and snack bars are found in both terminals and the gate concourses, including Starbucks and a food court
- Car rental is available through Fox, Thrifty, Avis, Dollar, Budget, Enterprise and National
- Retail shops offering newspapers and travel goods are sited within the pre-security areas
- In Terminal 2, the Southwest hub and a good choice of retail stores are found between gates 22 and 31, with a smaller selection in Terminal 1 between gates 1 and 9
- A sushi and cocktail bar is located at Terminal 1's Gate 9
- Assistance for disabled passengers is provided on request
- Long- and short-term parking is offered (over 7,000 spaces / hourly and daily rates)
Oakland city center is accessed via the Airport Drive, which leads to Hegenberger Road and on to the city center via the I-880. The route is well signed and passes by the Coliseum Industrial Complex, San Leandro Bay, the neighborhoods of South Kennedy Tract and North Kennedy Tract, Hawthorne, East Peralta and the Jack London District. Except in rush hours and on holidays, the journey should take around 35 minutes or thereabouts.
A local bus service provided by AC Transit leaves the airport every 15 minutes, running to east Oakland, east Alameda and San Leandro. Line N offers buses to the downtown district between midnight and sunrise, while hotel shuttle buses and shared minibuses are also available.
Public rail company Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) offers a regular train service to Oakland city center and beyond from its Coliseum-Oakland Airport station, just off the complex. The station is linked to the terminals by a frequent shuttle bus.
Two authorised taxi companies operate at the airport (Friendly Cab - tel: +1 510 536 3000 and Veteran's Cab - tel: +1 510 533 1900). Alternatively, a huge number of limo hire companies (close to 100 different firms) offer comfortable transportation to the city and the Bay Area.Æ