Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) Information
(Los Angeles, California - CA, USA)
The city of Los Angeles boasts a prominent international airport, full of modern facilities. Based on the Pacific Coast, Los Angeles International Airport is one of California's most important and has recently gained the position of the world's number six, in terms of annual passenger traffic and flights.
Currently, around 65 million travelers fly into and depart from LAX Airport each year, and the grounds now cover approximately 3,500 acres / 1,415 hectares. It is worth noting that the coastal setting means that fog and low clouds are known to cause problems, and so it is not unheard of for flights to be diverted elsewhere, such as the nearby city of Ontario.
Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
Address: 1 World Way, Los Angeles, California 90045, USA
Telephone: +1 310 646 5252
Los Angeles International Airport can be found just 15 miles / 24 km to the southwest of the city center, being sandwiched by the suburbs of El Segundo, Hawthorne, Inglewood, Lennox, Playa Del Rey and Westchester.
Los Angeles Airports Guide
Los Angeles Airport contains a total of nine large terminal buildings, serving a huge number of well-known airlines from around the world. Frequent courtesy shuttle buses connect each of the terminals.
- Terminal 1 - US Airways, US Airways Express and Southwest Airlines, gates 1 to 3, 4A to 4B, and 5 to 14
- Terminal 2 - domestic, Canadian and international airlines, such as Air Canada, Air China and Air France, gates 21 to 28
- Terminal 3 - a number of domestic and international airlines, including AirTran Airways and Alaska Airlines, gates 30 to 38
- Terminal 4 - American Airlines, American Eagle and Qantas airlines, gates 40 to 49
- Terminal 5 - some international airlines, gates 50 to 59
- Terminal 6 - domestic airlines such as Alaska Airlines, gates 60 to 69
- Terminal 7 - United / United Express airlines, gates 70 to 77
- Terminal 8 - mainland United flights only, gates 80 to 88
- Tom Bradley International Terminal - serves a large number of international airlines, with 12 gates split between north and south concourses
- Bureau de change
- Numerous 24-hour cash machines (ATMs)
- Restaurants, coffee shops, burger bars, fast-food outlets and vending machines
- Selection of stores, including bookstores and duty-free shops
- Business services in each terminal, including meeting rooms and Internet access
- Car hire companies at LAX Airport, including - Advantage Rent-A-Car, Alamo, Budget Rental, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz, National Rent-A-Car and Thrifty Car Rental
- Adjacent short-term car parking
- Long-term car parking within easy reach
- Disabled parking
- Disabled facilities, including access for wheelchair users, ramps and lifts / elevators
- First aid facilities
- Flight and tourism information desks
The airport is home to numerous regular buses and shuttle services. These include LAX FlyAway, which provides direct services to and from Van Nuys, Westwood, Irvine Station and Union Station. Scheduled buses also operate here and include well-known companies such as Santa Barbara Airbus and Grayline Coaches.
Shuttle buses connect Los Angeles Airport to the Metropolitan Transit Authority's Light Rail Station and are becoming increasingly popular, due mainly to the inexpensive fares.
Taxi ranks are to be found outside of the terminals, within the arrivals areas - look out for the large yellow 'Taxi' signs. Providing a particularly simple way to reach downtown Los Angeles, taxis also connect other various nearby areas. The expected journey time into the city center would be around 40 minutes, while Beverly Hills can be reached in roughly 30 minutes, and Santa Monica
in just 20 minutes.
Limousines are available and can be surprisingly affordable, with rates charged either per hour, per half-day or per day. Before discounting limos, it makes sense to check the rates, in case you find them less expensive than you first thought. Many tourists flying into Los Angeles - the land of Hollywood movie stars, enjoy being treated like a celebrity and limos are all part of that experience.