Sao Paulo Events, Things to Do and Festivals
(Sao Paulo, Brazil)
Known throughout Brazil
for their carefree way of living, the local Paulistanos are renowned for their energy when partying and Sao Paulo hosts a large variety of festivals and events.
It is a good idea to research any festivals that may occur during your visit, as even locals have been known to miss events in the sprawling urban labyrinth that is Sao Paulo.
A wide range of events and things to do are held all throughout the year, with the biggest ones drawing quite literally thousands to the city. Sao Paulo's Gay Pride is one favourite, while the Italian St. Vito Festival attracts a large Italian crowd.
Sao Paulo Calendar of Events and Festivals 2014 / 2015
- Sao Paulo Fashion Week - appearing among the most important fashion weeks in the world, the autumn trends are showcased at Ibirapuera Park each January
- Carnival - colourful street processions are filled with musicians and dancers in the city's favourite carnival, which ends on Mardi Gras
- Cultura Inglesa Festival - performing arts, dance and musical exhibitions are showcased throughout March in venues throughout the city
- Sao Paulo Short Film Festival - lasting for ten days, this event invites anyone to enter with a film they have made, many of which are shown in venues throughout the city
- Tiradentes Day - this public holiday on April 21st honours Tiradentes, the revolutionary who fought against the rule of the Portuguese in the 18th century
- Parada do Orgulho LGBT (Gay Pride) - mid-May, the world's largest Gay Pride attracts millions of people each year to celebrate diversity and understanding, with the procession starting at the Sao Paulo Museum of Art
- March for Jesus - taking place annually on Corpus Christi Thursday, the March for Jesus attracts around a million evangelicals from all over Brazil
- Sao Paulo, Brazil, BR
- St. Vito Festival - the most important Italian festival, celebrating the patron saint of Puglia, in Italy, where many of the city's Italian inhabitants come from, with feasting and parties
- Sao Paulo Fashion Week - the spring collection is shown each June and is famed for its outrageous Brazilian swimwear collections
- Tanabata Matsuri - this little known festival is held annually in the Liberdade Japanese quarter and is celebrated with a colourful procession through the streets
- Nosa Senhora Achiropia - this annual Italian celebration lures thousands of revellers to party in the streets, accompanied by live music, dancers and regional cuisine
- Electronic Language International Festival - with the aim to develop the arts, this yearly public event involves interactive films, electronic art installations and workshops
- Motomix Festival - this free event is held at the Espaco das Americas and involves live performances from musicians from all over the world
- Sao Paulo International Film Festival - this international film festival is held each October, with screenings of numerous films from across the nation, as well as some international ones in venues throughout the city
- Grand Prix - mid-November, featuring parts of the world Grand Prix circuit in the Interlagos Autodome
- Reveillon - the city hosts an annual free New Year's Eve party on Avenida Paulista, with live music and dance performances