Maastricht Maps and Orientation
(Maastricht, Limburg, Netherlands)
Located in the south-easterly area of the Netherlands
and within the province of Limburg, Maastricht is actually a leading tourist destination and the regional capital. The city of Maastricht straddles the River Meuse (Maas) and is amongst the country's most historical locations, being known to date back to well before the Roman times.
Maastricht is divided into a total of seven main districts, which are the city centre and then six 'Buitenwijk' districts of Noord-Oost (North-East), Noord-West (North-West), Oost (East), West, Zuid-Oost (South-East), and also Zuid-West (South-West).
Maps and Orientation of the City
Central Maastricht is actually quite compact and split by the River Meuse, with the easterly bank being known as the Wyck area, and the neighbourhood to the south as the Céramique. The railway station is centrally located and around a 15-minutes stroll from the Vrijthof Square, which is considered by many to be the true cultural heart of Maastricht.
Another prominent public square in Maastricht is the Markt, which has recently been reconstructed and enhanced. Maps and English-language guides to Maastricht can be obtained from book shops located along both the Nieuwstraat and the Rechtstraat. Further maps can be found at the tourist office on the Kleine Staat, off the Jodenstraat and the Maastrichter Smedenstraat, and close to the Maasboulevard thoroughfare.
- Aachen (Germany) - 40 km / 25 miles (45 minutes, south-east)
- Alsdorf (Germany) - 55 km / 34 miles (one hour, east)
- Amsterdam - 216 km / 134 miles (two hours and 20 minutes, north)
- Baesweiler - 58 km / 36 miles (one hour and five minutes, east)
- Brunssum (Germany) - 40 km / 25 miles (45 minutes, south-east)
- Eindhoven - 87 km / 54 miles (one hour and 20 minutes, north)
- Geleen - 22 km / 14 miles (25 minutes, north)
- Gronsveld - 9 km / 6 miles (12 minutes, south)
- Heerlen - 25 km / 16 miles (30 minutes, east)
- Kerkrade - 33 km / 21 miles (35 minutes, east)
- Lanaken (Belgium) - 8 km / 5 miles (14 minutes, north)
- Landgraaf - 30 km / 19 miles (35 minutes, east)
- Maasmechelen (Belgium) - 15 km / 9 miles (25 minutes, north)
- Rotterdam - 200 km / 124 miles (two hours and 15 minutes, north-west)
- The Hague (Den Haag) - 231 km / 144 miles (two hours and 30 minutes, north-west)
- Valkenburg - 14 km / 9 miles (20 minutes, east)
Map of The Netherlands
Map of Maastricht