Maastricht Events and Festivals 2013 / 2014
(Maastricht, Limburg, Netherlands)
To make the very most of your holiday and get the low down on the nightlife scene in Maastricht, pick up your copy of the city's free weekly magazine publication 'Week In, Week Uit', which is widely available across the city and features events listings and other things to do, in both Dutch and English. Spring and summer are always popular times to visit Maastricht and these seasons see a number of popular festivals, carnivals and other events.
February in Maastricht sees the arrival of the city's rather colourful Carnaval (Carnival), an excellent procession of decorated floats and always a crowd pleaser. The Maastricht Carnaval is amongst the biggest celebrations of its kind throughout Europe and sees endless partying, leading up to the religious festivals at Easter time. Literally everything in the city of Maastricht stops for its annual carnival and its related events.
The middle of March is when the TEFAF art show is staged. Held within the vast MECC (Maastricht Exhibition and Congress Centre), the TEFAF is nothing short of Europe's leading annual exhibition of art and antiques, and regularly attracts more than 200 different exhibitors. The Jazz Maastricht Masters Festival also takes place at this time of the year, followed by a similar 'jazz fair' each October, better known as the Jazz Promenade.
Other popular events held within the city of Maastricht include Preuvenemint Tasting Event (food festival) in late August, the established Tango Festival each November, and the Yuletide celebrations during Winterland in December, which feature a winter fairground, seasonal markets and a huge ice-skating rink in the Vrijthof area.
Maastricht National Public Holidays
- New Year's Day (Nieuwjaarsdag) - January 1st
- Good Friday (Goede Vrijdag) - March / April
- Easter Sunday (Eerste Paasdag) - March / April
- Queen's Day (Koninginnedag) - April 30th
- Liberation Day (Bevrijdingsdag) - May 5th
- Ascension Day (Hemelvaartsdag) - 40 days after Easter
- Whit Sunday / White Monday (Eerste Pinksterdag / Tweede Pinksterdag) - Seven weeks after Easter
- Christmas Day / Boxing Day (Eerste Kerstdag / Tweede Kerstdag) - December 25th / 26th