Lake District Events, Things to Do and Festivals
(Lake District, Cumbria, England, UK)
All through the year, there are a number of events that take place in Cumbria and the Lake District, with the warm summer months offering the best selection of things to do and enjoy. The Lake District Summer Music Festival is one such event and is staged each August, lasting around 20 days in total.
Featuring all kinds of classical music, performed by large orchestras, string quartets and event piano soloists, the Lake District Summer Music Festival is one not to miss, and takes place at venues in Ambleside, Bowness, Kendal, Ulverston and Windermere. Children will always enjoy the 'Hug a Bunny' days at the World of Beatrix Potter, which are held at selected dates most months.
Lake District Calendar of Festivals and Events 2014 / 2015: General Information
A number of the biggest events in the Lake District are hosted at Keswick, with the Words by the Water Festival being a particular highlight in late February and early March.
This ever-popular Cumbrian literature festival sees authors, readers, spectators and trade stalls all gather at the Derwent Water Theatre by the Lake in large numbers.
Other very notable celebrations worth looking out for around the Lake District include the following:
- Keswick Film Festival and Film Club - mid-February, at the Theatre by the Lake in Keswick
- February Half-term at Muncaster Castle - fun for the family including the World Owl Centre
- Riot of Rhododendrons - mid-March to mid-June, enjoy the azaleas and rhododendrons of Muncaster Castle Gardens
- Tom Fools Day - 1st April, entertainment from the Fool of Muncaster Castle and fun activities
- Easter Family Fun - April, performances from the Fool of Muncaster at Muncaster Castle
- Bluebell Heaven - mid-April to mid-May, enjoy the bluebells in the woodlands of Muncaster
- Cockermouth Georgian Festival - late April to early May, at the Cockermouth Market Place and Main Street
- Feast of Flowers - April / May, a weekend enjoying the splendid azaleas and rhododendrons of Muncaster Castle Gardens, with guided tours available from the owner or Head Gardener, as well as demonstrations of flower arranging
- Lake District and Keswick Half Marathon - early May, around Derwent Water
- Jennings Keswick Jazz Festival - mid May, at the Theatre by the Lake in Keswick
- Cumberland Ale Keswick Mountain Festival - mid-May, around Keswick
- Festival of Fools - May / June, street entertainers and jesters performing at the five day festival at Muncaster Castle, leading up to the International Jesters Tournament where the Fool of Muncaster will be selected
- The Lakelander - Vintage Steam Train Journey - May to August, running on selected Saturdays and travelling around the Cumbrian Coast to Ravenglass
- Keswick Beer Festival - early June, at Davidson Park
- Keswick Street Theatre - June and July, outside Moot Hall in Keswick
- Keswick Convention - mid to late July, a gathering of evangelical Christians at the Keswick Conference Centre on Skiddaw Street
- Summer of Fun - August, entertainment for children throughout August including circus workshops and magic shows
- Medieval Muncaster - late August, displays and re-enactments of medieval life at Muncaster Castle
- Derwent Water Trail - early September, a fun run event through some of the Lake District's most beautiful countryside
- Halloween Week - late October, ghost tours of the haunted Muncaster Castle with activities for children including face painting as well as a themed light and sound show
- Christmas at the Castle - November / December, see Muncaster Castle decorated for the festive season and be thrilled by the Darkest Muncaster Illuminations set to themed music
- Keswick Traditional Christmas Fayre - early December
- Muncaster Castle Victorian Christmas Tours - Sundays in December, half hour tours led by servants in customs from 1885