Canberra Airport (CBR) Information
(Canberra, Australian Capital Territory - ACT, Australia)
Great things are happening at Canberra's international airport, following an ambitious expansion and refurbishment plan costing in excess of $400 million. As a result, passengers can expect to find more shops, eateries, parking spaces, baggage collection points and many new environmentally friendly policies, together with a fun kid's zone, some 200 pick-up spaces and a covered taxi rank.
Located next door to Canberra Airport is the Brindabella Business Park, which ranks amongst the country's greenest business complexes.
Canberra Airports Guide
Canberra Airport (CBR)
Address: 2 Brindabella Circuit, Brindabella Business Park, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory (ACT), 2609, Australia
Tel: +61 (0)2 6275 2222
Canberra Airport is located just 8 km / 5 miles to the south-east of the city centre and some 7 km / 4 miles to the north-west of nearby Queanbeyan. Sited alongside the Fairburn Golf Course, the Redwood Grove Park and the Royal Military College Sports Oval, this is one of the largest airports in this part of Australia.
Canberra Airport serves a number of national and domestic airlines, including Brindabella Airlines, Qantas Airways and Virgin Australia. These airlines provide regular and inexpensive flights to some of Australia's largest cities, such as Adelaide
, the Gold Coast, Hobart
, as well as Albury Wodonga and Newcastle.
- Travelex foreign exchange and post office
- 24-hour cash machines (ATMs)
- Several cafés, fast-food outlets and wine bars, including Hudsons Coffee, Tuk Chop and Velluto
- Shops, newsagents and gift shops, including Relay
- Car hire companies - including Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz and Thrifty Car Rental
- Short-term and long-term parking, available next to the Central Terminal
- Passenger pick-up zone
- Business and conference facilities available, including meeting rooms and catering options
- Special facilities for disabled passengers, including wheelchairs
- Canberra Tourism and Events information desk in the main building
- Other facilities include TTY teletypewriter phones, a baby changing room, first aid, lifts / elevators, secure lockers, a lost property desk, a viewing gallery and translation services
Central Canberra is less than ten minutes from the airport by road. However, it should be noted that the journey may take longer when travelling during peak times. Those choosing to rent a car will find good deals online, although vehicles are also available on the day when required. Hiring your own set of wheels provides the freedom to properly explore the Australian Capital Territory, with attractions close to Canberra including the Namadgi National Park, the Tallaganda State Forest and the Tinderry Nature Reserve.
Regular buses are available at Canberra's airport and the subsidised Airport Express service connects centrally located Blamey Square Russell. Operating from Monday to Friday, express buses travel into the city every hour, collecting and dropping off passengers on the lower level, near the undercover car park.
Located on the ground floor of the terminal, the taxi rank is called home by three resident cab companies, namely Cabexpress (tel: +61 02 6260 6011), Canberra Elite (tel: +61 02 6213 2222) and Queanbeyan Taxis (tel: +61 02 6297 3000). Taxi cabs connect a variety of surrounding destinations, including Belconnen, Gungahlin, Phillip and Tuggeranong.
There are a variety of private car limousine companies available, including Hughes Chauffeured Cars and Limousines, CBD Transport and Canberra Hire Cars. Limos can generally be leased per hour or per day.
Some hotels in Canberra provide a convenient door-to-door courtesy shuttle bus service for their guests upon request, including the City Backpackers, the Novotel Hotel, Quest Apartments, the Crown Plaza Canberra Hotel and the Waldorf.