Tokyo Shopping and Districts
(Tokyo, Kanto, Honshu, Japan)
Shopping in Tokyo is notoriously pricey, although if you are prepared to search a little, you will find plenty of bargains and inexpensive gift ideas. For one-stop shopping in Tokyo, visit to one of the city's enormous department stores, which are spread over many floors and contain enough merchandise to keep the keenest shoppers occupied for hours. However, the department stores in Tokyo are often rather expensive, unless a seasonal sale is taking place.
Antiquities and good souvenirs can be found in the basement of the Hanae Mori Building in the Harajuku area of Tokyo and is home to around 30 different antique stores. Nearby, the Oriental Bazaar is also a great place to find many affordable gifts, such as fans, kimonos and ceramics.
When to Shop and Opening Hours
Shops in Tokyo tend to operate between the hours of 09:00 and 19:00, seven days a week. Some department stores may open slightly later, at around 10:00, while some of the smaller shops choose to close their doors at 17:00 or thereabouts, often not opening at all on Sundays.
Where to Shop
For off-the-rack fashion and many Japanese high-street favourites, both the Shibuya and Shinjuku districts of Tokyo have much to offer in the way of shopping. The department stores in these areas are exceptional, with top outlets including Isetan, Laforet, Marui One, Matsuzakaya, Mitsukoshi, Parco, Seibu and Takashimaya Times Square, amongst others. The local flea markets in Tokyo are especially interesting and are often based around the city's main shrines.
The main shopping centres and department stores in the city of Tokyo are as follows.
- 1 Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, 160-0023, Japan, JP
Tel: +81 03 3342 2111
- 3-14-1 Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, 160-0022, Japan, JP
Tel: +81 03 3352 1111
- 1-11-6 Jingumae, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, 150-0001, Japan, JP
Tel: +81 03 3475 0411
- 1-1-5 Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, 160-0023, Japan, JP
Tel: +81 03 5321 7531
- 1-21-3 Jinnan, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, 150-0042, Japan, JP
Tel: +81 03 3464 0101
- 6-10-1 Ginza, Chuo-ku, Tokyo, 104-0061, Japan, JP
Tel: +81 03 3572 1111
- 1-3-3 Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, 160-8001, Japan, JP
Tel: +81 03 3342 1111
- 15-1 Udagawacho, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, Japan, JP
Tel: +81 03 3464 5111
- 21-1 Udagawacho, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, 150-0042, Japan, JP
Tel: +81 03 3462 0111
Takashimaya Times Square
- 5-24-2 Sendagaya, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, 151-0051, Japan, JP
Tel: +81 03 5361 1122