Charlotte Maps and Orientation
(Charlotte, North Carolina - NC, USA)
Whilst Charlotte may be the biggest city in the state of North Carolina, it is Raleigh
that actually serves as the state capital. Nevertheless, Charlotte enjoys the status of being an important financial city with significant headquarters for Wells Fargo and the Bank of America.
Charlotte is the administrative core of Mecklenburg County and resides just a short distance to the east of the Catawba River, being found on the southeasterly side of Lake Norman, the state's biggest artificial lake. Other surrounding geographical features of note include both nearby Mountain Island Lake and Lake Wylie.
This spreading city comprises roughly 200 different neighborhoods, all of which radiate outwards from Uptown Charlotte. It is in this part of the city where you will find the campus of the Johnson C. Smith University (JCSU). The thoroughfare named Central Avenue is home to a truly multicultural community, being located on the easterly outskirts of the city center, while to the south, many of the largest and oldest houses are to be found around Eastover and Myers Park, along tree-lined avenues.
Maps and Orientation of the City
If shopping or eating out feature on your itinerary, then the SouthPark area is worth a look, being something of a secondary urban heart and also a busy part of Charlotte.
Elsewhere, visitors with a map may like to check out Southeast Charlotte and its selection of green spaces and golf courses, Northeast Charlotte and its University of North Carolina (UNC) campus, and the westerly suburbs and attractions, which are connected by Interstate I-85 (Sen Marshall Arthur Rauch Highway). The Gaston Mall is to be found just off the I-85, being roughly 25 minutes away and located next to the city of Gastonia, county seat of Gaston County.
- Ballantyne East - 18 miles / 29 km (30 minutes, south)
- Belmont - 14 miles / 23 km (25 minutes, west)
- Dixie Berryhill - 12 miles / 19 km (20 minutes, southwest)
- Fort Mill - 18 miles / 29 km (30 minutes, southwest)
- Harwood Lane - 11 miles / 18 km (20 minutes, northwest)
- Hickory Ridge - 9 miles / 14 km (15 minutes, east)
- Matthews - 12 miles / 19 km (20 minutes, southeast)
- McAlpine - 15 miles / 24 km (25 minutes, south)
- Mineral Springs - 27 miles / 43 km (45 minutes, southeast)
- Montclaire South - 8 miles / 13 km (15 minutes, southwest)
- Mount Holly - 12 miles / 19 km (20 minutes, northwest)
- Mountain Island - 15 miles / 24 km (25 minutes, northwest)
- Myers Park - 4 miles / 6 km (ten minutes, south)
- Pawtuckett - 9 miles / 14 km (15 minutes, west)
- Provincetowne - 20 miles / 32 km (35 minutes, south)
- Silverwood - 11 miles / 18 km (20 minutes, east)
- Wedgewood - 10 miles / 16 km (18 minutes, north)
Map of the United States
Map of North Carolina
Map of Charlotte