Aarhus Events and Festivals 2014 / 2015
There are always things to do in Aarhus, with a number of well-supported festivals taking place over the year, particularly during the summer months. Visitors will find regular performances, operas and musical events at the Musikhuset Arhus complex, which is home to two separate concert halls and resides in the very centre of Aarhus on the Thomas Jensens Allé, with the larger hall being capable of accommodating audiences of around 1,600 people.
Another important venue in Aarhus is the theatre known locally as the Arhus Teater on the Bispetorv, which is actually the biggest theatre in the whole of Denmark's Jutland area and contains no less than five stages. Many further theatrical performances, events and open-air concerts are staged in the Vestereng Park, often attended by large crowds.
The middle of July is always a busy time in the city, since this is when the internationally acclaimed Aarhus International Jazz Festival is held, over a period of ten days. This is followed soon after by the massive event that is the Aarhus Festuge Festival, which takes place in the latter part of August and during early September, growing to become one of the largest festivals of its kind not only in Denmark, but in the whole of Scandinavia.
Aarhus National Public Holidays
- Nytarsdag (New Year's Day) - January 1st
- Skaertorsdag (Maundy Thursday) - held on the Thursday before Easter Sunday
- Langfredag (Good Friday) - held on the Friday before Easter Sunday
- Paskedag (Easter Sunday) - late March or early April
- 2.Paskedag (Easter Monday) - held on the Monday following Easter Sunday
- Stor Bededag (Common Prayer Day) - held on the fourth Friday following Easter Sunday
- Kristi Himmelfartsdag (Ascension Day) - held on the sixth Thursday following Easter Sunday
- Pinsedag (Whitsunday) - held on the seventh Sunday following Easter Sunday
- 2.Pinsedag (Whitmonday) - held on the eighth Monday following Easter Sunday
- Grundlovsdag (Constitution Day) - June 5th
- Christmas Eve - December 24th
- Juledag (Christmas Day) - December 25th
- 2.Juledag (Boxing Day) - December 26th