Brno Events and Festivals 2014 / 2015
(Brno, South Moravia, Czech Republic)
Founded in the late 1920s, the Brno Exhibition Centre is where many of the city's leading festivals, concerts and countless other notable events take place. There are almost always things to do and see within the Brno Exhibition Centre (BVV Veletrhy / Vystaviste Exhibition Grounds), in the Pisárky district.
With year-round trade fairs, conventions, conferences and huge rock concerts being just some of the other popular events hosted here, the ever-popular Brno Exhibition Centre attracts some one million visitors annually.
Festivals in Brno worth looking out for include the Burning of the Witches (Páleni Carodejnic) on April 30th, the Ride of the Kings (Jizda Králu) in late May, and the fireworks competition known as the Ignis Brunensis, which takes place each June and regularly attracts crowds of some 200,000 people.
Other notable events in Brno include both the International Wine and Beer Fairs, along with the September Wine Festival, which is referred to by the locals as the Slavnosti Vina and is a true celebration of the regional vineyard harvest.
The Grand Prix Brno is always a crowd pleaser, while theatre-goers in the city will find regular operas, ballets and other performances at the Janácek Theatre, the Mahen's Theatre and also the City Theatre, where many musicals are staged.
Brno National Public Holidays
- New Year's Day (Novy Rok) / Anniversary of Founding of the Czech Republic - January 1st
- Easter Monday (Pondeli Velikonocni) - March / April
- Labour Day (Svátek Práce) - May 1st
- Liberation Day (Den Osvobozeni) - May 8th
- SS Cyril and Methodius Day (Den Cyrila a Metodeje) - July 5th
- Jan Hus Day (Den Jana Husa) - July 6th
- Czech Statehood Day (Den Eeské Státnosti) - September 28th
- Independence Day (Den Vzniku Ceskoslovenska) - October 28th
- Freedom and Democracy Day (Den Boje za Svobodu a Demokracii) - November 17th
- Christmas (Vánoce) - December 24th to 26th