Jacksonville Events and Festivals
(Jacksonville, Florida - FL, USA)
Aside from the occasional quiet month, Jacksonville offers a good selection of yearly events and festivals. Beer lovers will find two opportunities for indulging their passion for brews in Jacksonville, with one festival in May and another in July.
Other highlights and festivals on the Jacksonville calendar include April's Jazz Festival and September's Riverside Arts Festival, both providing visitors with a chance to soak up the city's culture. Below is a list of the main yearly festivals, events and things to do in the Jacksonville area.
National Public Holidays
- 1st January - New Year's Day
- Third Monday in January - Martin Luther King Day
- 12th February - Lincoln's Birthday
- Third Monday in February - Washington's Birthday
- Last Monday in May - Memorial Day
- 4th July - Independence Day
- First Monday in September - Labor Day
- Second Monday in October - Columbus Day
- 11th November - Veterans Day
- 4th Thursday in November - Thanksgiving
- 25th December - Christmas Day
Calendar of Festivals and Events 2013 / 2014
- Gator Bowl - January 1st, played annually at the ALLTEL Stadium, the Gator Bowl sees college football teams meet to battle it out in one of the year's most popular American football events.
- Kuumba Fest - this annual one-day event sees the city celebrate its African-American culture, history and heritage with parades, live music, food and more.
- Gate River Run - mid-April, the Gate River Run is an annual event that sees competitors take on a grueling 9-mile / 14-km run in the hope of winning a share of the prize money. The event attracts thousands of onlookers who turn up to cheer on the runners.
- Springing the Blues Festival - early April, Springing the Blues is an annual event that includes performances by renowned blues performers alongside music-related displays and activities. The festival is free and intended as celebration of America's indigenous music.
- Jacksonville Jazz Festival - early April, the Jacksonville Jazz Festival is a popular annual event that encompasses a variety of forms of entertainment. Besides live performances by local and national jazz musicians, visitors can enjoy good food provided by stalls and a fun run.
- Jacksonville Beer and Food Festival - visitors who attend the annual Jacksonville Beer and Food Festival have the opportunity to try over 130 different beers while sating their hunger with food from many of the area's favorite local restaurants. The event is held at the Morocco Shrine Temple Auditorium.
- No significant festivals during the month of June in Jacksonville.
- Greater Jacksonville Kingfish Tournament - the Greater Jacksonville Kingfish Tournament is an annual event which constitutes America's biggest kingfish tournament. Over this week-long event, the first two days consist of the main competition, while the further five days offer smaller competitions, live entertainment, a food festival and more.
- Folio Weekly Beer and Music Festival - all month, the Folio Weekly Beer and Music Festival is an annual event in which visitors have the opportunity to sample over 125 brews from a variety of destinations. Hosted by Folio magazine, the event offers free food and live entertainment.
- First Coast Pride Festival and Parade - mid-July, major gay pride event attracting many visitors to the city.
- No significant festivals during the month of August in Jacksonville.
- Riverside Arts Festival - the Riverside Arts Festival is a two-day affair held at Riverside Avonale Historic District. The festival involves a large number of local and national artists, art exhibits, live entertainment and more.
- Southern Women's Show - late October, the Southern Women's Show is an opportunity for women to indulge themselves and to discover and discuss ways in which they can improve their lives. On-hand are spa treatments, salon makeovers and hair styling.
- Greater Jacksonville Agricultural Fair - early November, held annually at Fairgrounds Place, the Greater Jacksonville Agricultural Fair provides Jacksonville residents with the opportunity to get together and celebrate the city's heritage, culture and community. With live performances by artists from a variety of musical genres, including country and blues, rock and golden oldies.
- St. Johns County Festival of Trees - the St. Johns County Festival of Trees is an annual holiday event that visitors to the Jacksonville area are wise not to miss. Visitors can expect to see a large number of the region's trees beautifully decorated in festive style for the duration of the month to mark the lead up to Christmas.