Szeged Events and Festivals 2014 / 2015
(Szeged, Csongrad, Hungary)
Known for its nightlife and well-attended summer festivals, there are always things to do in Szeged, ranging from traditional Hungarian markets to major music events and outdoor concerts. Around two hours down the road is Hungary's capital city of Budapest, and if you are prepared to make the journey and time it right, you can expect to enjoy a number of truly world-class festivals and events.
One of the city's biggest events is the Szeged Open-Air Festival, which is famous throughout Hungary and features classical music, operatic performances, folk dancing and even ballet. Hosted on the Dóm Square, which is transformed into an outdoor theatre, complete with large stage, the Szeged Open-Air Festival lasts around one week and usually runs from the end of July into the beginning of August.
The Sziget Music Festival has grown to become one of Europe's largest and most significant popular musical festivals and takes place each August on Budapest's Hajógyár Island.
Szeged National Public Holidays
- New Year's Day (Újév) - January 1st
- National Day (Nemzeti Unnep) - March 15th
- Hungarian-Polish Friendship Day - March 23th
- Easter - late March / early April
- Labour Day - May 1st
- Pentecost (Pünkösd) - held 50 days following Easter
- St. Stephen's Day - August 20th
- National Hungarian Day - October 23rd
- All Saints' Day - November 1st
- Christmas Eve - December 24th
- Christmas Day - December 25th
- Boxing Day - December 26th