Piraeus Beaches, Coastline and Water Sports
(Piraeus, Attica, Greece)
There are a number of excellent beaches scattered around the city of Piraeus, all of which are managed by the Greek National Tourist Organisation. Beach facilities are good and often include changing areas, cafes and even pitches for volley ball, although there is usually a charge for entry onto the beaches, since many are private.
There is a good beach located alongside the Piraeus Peninsula, where sightseers may also be interested in the remains of the city's ancient walls, indicating the former grandeur of this ancient city. Apart from the beaches around the city, Piraeus is also home to some charming marinas and harbours, particularly along the Koumoundourou coastline.
Piraeus beaches have something in common with many in Greece, with traditional Greek taverns never being far from hand and usually specialising in freshly caught fish, which is often both tasty and very affordable. There are often also modern cafes and small small shops close by.
List of the main beaches and nearby resorts
- Glyfada Beach - just a short drive from Piraeus city centre. Glyfada Beach has become a major seaside resort, with some excellent marinas and very popular stretches of sand. Tourists come here not only to sunbathe, but to enjoy the selection of water sports on offer
- Kavouri Beach - an upscale resort and very much a favourite of the local Athenians. Kavouri Beach is perfect for those who enjoy sports, being home to tennis courts and a rather swanky marina
- Varkiza Beach - a lively resort near to Vouliagmeni and located directly to the south-west of central Piraeus. Varkiza Beach is simple to reach by car, lying off Alkyonidon Avenue, and the drive here is particularly scenic. Vari is very nearby and a good place to find a bite to eat, being filled with Greek-style tavernas
- Voula Beach - very much a beach for the younger holiday makers, offering something of a party atmosphere
- Vouliagmeni Beach - around 30 minutes from downtown Piraeus and just a short distance from the beaches next to Poseidonos Avenue
- Votsalakia Beach - one of the very best beaches that you are likely to encounter in Piraeus and this part of Greece. The sand is fine, the views are gorgeous and there is even a central open-air cafe, right in the middle of the beach itself. Votsalakia Beach is also home to a volleyball court, tennis courts, a swimming pool, bars and many beachfront restaurants. Pasalimani is relatively close by, as is Alexandra Square