Nagasaki Airport (NGS) Information
(Nagasaki, Kyushu, Japan)
Used by some three million travellers each year, Nagasaki Airport is a relatively small hub on Japan's most south-westerly main island. Located to the far north-east of the city of Nagasaki, the airport provides a conveniently fast way to reach this distant region of Japan
. Besides being the site of an atomic bomb blast in WWII, the city offers visitors an interesting infusion of European heritage, since it was actually founded by the Portuguese in the 16th century.
Less then ten airlines offer regular service to the airport. Most of the flights connect with Tokyo
, followed by a handful of smaller Japanese cities such as Kobe, Iki, Tsushima and Goto Fukue. A flight to the South Korean capital, Seoul
, is the only direct international flight available and this is with Korean Air. All Nippon Airways, Japan Airlines, Peach, Skymark, Skynet Asia, China Eastern and Oriental Air Bridge are the other carriers with scheduled flights to this facility.
The terminal at Nagasaki's airport has a very decent range of amenities for passengers, with many options for meals or snacks along with shopping outlets, services such as massage and a business lounge. Ground transport options include ferries, buses, taxis and car rental. It takes around an hour to drive from the terminal into Nagasaki via National Highway 34.
Nagasaki Airport (NGS)
Address: F-593 Mishima, Omura, 856-0816, Japan, JP
Tel: +81 597 52 5555
Nagasaki Airport is situated approximately 40 km / 25 miles north-east of the city centre itself and just a few minutes' drive west of Omura City. The terminal is well equipped and directly connected by highway to Nagasaki and various surrounding cities.
- The traveller information desk on the first floor offers many services
- ATMs and four Japanese banks are available at the terminal exit for currency exchange and other banking services
- Four sit-down restaurants including Goto Udon, several snack cafés, a Starbucks and mini-marts are on hand
- Shops including the Airport Shop and Seafood & Sake sell gifts, local food items, reading material and duty free goods for international travellers
- The Azalea Business Lounge is open to all travellers for a fee
- An observation deck provides great views of aircraft movements on the tarmac
- Car hire companies in Arrivals include both Japanese firms and international chains
- A massage centre offering foot acupressure in addition to massage is situated on the second floor
- Two Wi-Fi Internet hot spots are available inside the terminal
- A parking lot with a capacity for just under 850 vehicles is provided adjacent to the terminal
Cars and Taxis
Six taxi companies operate directly outside of the Arrivals hall, including both Silver Taxi and Godo Taxi. All cabs use meters and charge for road tolls. The Sasebo Shared Jumbo-Taxi offers a more affordable transport option for travellers heading to the town of Sasebo, roughly a 55-minute drive away.
Nagasaki Airport is located on an island, which is connected to the mainland by a bridge. This route turns into National Highway 34. It takes around 35 minutes to reach the city by car via expressway, and there are several car hire firms operating directly at the terminal in Arrivals.
Buses run to three different destinations from the airport, Nagasaki, Sasebo and Isahaya / Shimabara. These routes typically stop at each city's train and long distance bus stations, with the journey time to Nagasaki ranging from 35 to 45 minutes.
There is a ferry terminal right at the airport with boats to Togitsu, Huis Ten Bosch and Nagayo several times each day. Journey times range from 25 to 50 minutes, while fares are fixed, with reduced fares for children.