Myrtle Beach Maps and Orientation
(Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - SC, USA)
Located on the eastern side of South Carolina and based within the county of Horry, where Conway is the county seat, the city of Myrtle Beach fronts the Atlantic Ocean. The coastline of Myrtle Beach is a lengthy one of many miles and is certainly the principal attraction here, drawing in excess of 14 million tourists every summer.
This coastline is referred to as the Grand Strand and the stretch not only encompasses Myrtle Beach, but also a series of additional communities, resorts, towns and cities. The most notable of these include Atlantic Beach, Briarcliffe Acres, Conway, Garden City, Little River and Surfside Beach (in the county of Horry) and DeBordieu, Georgetown, Litchfield Beach and Murrells Inlet (in the county of Georgetown).
When the Intracoastal Waterway was constructed in the 1930s, to connect the Atlantic with the Gulf of Mexico, this vast waterway effectively turned the Myrtle Beach area into a giant artificial island. However, there are certainly plenty of bridges connecting the city with 'mainland' South Carolina, such as the Harrelson Boulevard and the Waccamaw Boulevard (Highway 501).
Maps and Orientation of the City
In the late 1960s, North Myrtle Beach came into being as a separate coastal resort, with neighborhoods such as Crescent Beach, Ocean Drive Beach and Windy Hill Beach. Also incorporated at roughly the same time was the nearby seaside town of Surfside Beach, located roughly 15 minutes to the southwest.
Head further south and you will soon encounter a number of additional sleepy coastal towns, villages, resorts and parks. Just under 100 miles / 161 km to the southwest is the city of Charleston
, reachable in slightly more than two hours by car, via the Ocean Highway US-17. If you are planning to self-drive, then maps are advisable and can be obtained from the Myrtle Beach Area Convention and Visitors Bureau at North Oak Street, which is close to the First United Methodist Church and also the 36-hole Mount Atlanticus Miniature Golf Course.
- Briarcliffe Acres - 12 miles / 19 km (20 minutes, northeast)
- Brookgreen Gardens - 21 miles / 34 km (35 minutes, southwest)
- Burgess - 14 miles / 23 km (25 minutes, southwest)
- Carolina Shores - 25 miles / 40 km (45 minutes, northeast)
- Conway - 15 miles / 24 km (25 minutes, northwest)
- Forestbrook - 6 miles / 10 km (12 minutes, northwest)
- Garden City Beach - 11 miles / 18 km (20 minutes, southwest)
- Huntington Beach State Park - 20 miles / 32 km (35 minutes, southwest)
- Little River - 22 miles / 35 km (40 minutes, northeast)
- Murrells Inlet - 13 miles / 21 km (20 minutes, southwest)
- Myrtle Beach State Park - 5 miles / 8 km (ten minutes, southwest)
- Socastee - 8 miles / 13 km (15 minutes, west)
- Surfside Beach - 8 miles / 13 km (15 minutes, southwest)
Map of the United States
Map of South Carolina
Map of Myrtle Beach