Eindhoven Events and Festivals 2014 / 2015
(Eindhoven, North Brabant, Netherlands)
The cultural scene in Eindhoven sees many exciting annual festivals, with the best events being at their most plentiful during both the spring and summer months. February sees the arrival of the Eindhoven Carnaval and its colourful processions, while Queen's Day (Koninginnedag) on April 30th is cause for national celebrations, offering endless things to do, see and enjoy.
Each year towards the end June, Eindhoven's Fiesta del Sol is amongst the biggest summer events. This lively music and theatre based festival is a real highlight in Eindhoven and regularly attracts over 200,000 visitors, who arrive from all over Europe for this three-day event.
Another massive spectacle is the Jazz in Lighttown festival in August, a leading jazz and blues event with performances from literally hundreds of jazz musicians. August is always a busy time in Eindhoven and other notable events during this months include the funfair of Park Hilaria, the folk festival known as Folkwoods, and the live music at the Reggae Sundance.
The Lichtjesroute Festival is one event not to miss and from September 18th onwards, Eindhoven's streets are decorated with endless coloured lights and ornamentation, stretching for around 24 km / 15 miles. Crowds of both athletes and spectators flock to the city in October, when the Eindhoven Marathon is staged.
Whatever the time of the year, you can be sure to find some kind of concert, performance or theatrical events being hosted by the Muziek Centrum Fritz Philips (concert hall), at the Plaza Futura Cinema, or at the Stadsschouwburg (Park Theatre), the latter of which is visited by annual audiences numbering more than 300,000 spectators.
Eindhoven National Public Holidays
- New Year's Day (Nieuwjaarsdag) - January 1st
- Good Friday (Goede Vrijdag) - March / April
- Easter Sunday (Eerste Paasdag) - March / April
- Queen's Day (Koninginnedag) - April 30th
- Liberation Day (Bevrijdingsdag) - May 5th
- Ascension Day (Hemelvaartsdag) - 40 days after Easter
- Whit Sunday / White Monday (Eerste Pinksterdag / Tweede Pinksterdag) - Seven weeks after Easter
- Christmas Day / Boxing Day (Eerste Kerstdag / Tweede Kerstdag) - December 25th / 26th