Sorrento Events and Festivals
(Sorrento, Campania, Italy)
Many of the festivals in Sorrento are religious in their theme, while other events are quite the opposite, with concerts, movie screenings and regular markets. Each February, the patron saint of Sorrento, Sant' Antonio, is remembered with an array of different events and celebrations.
Taking place on February 5th, visitors can expect long processions, bright costumes and lots of partying. Sant' Antonio (St. Anthony) is much loved here, for it is said that he saved the city during the Second World War, when both Sorrento and Naples
were suffering from bombing.
Sorrento Calendar of Festivals and Events 2014 / 2015
Easter Week (Settimana Santa) is another cause for frivolity and fun in Sorrento, with a number of processions each year on Holy Friday, such as the parade of 'Our Lady of Sorrows. During this festival, the 'Madonna' is carried high above the crowds, along the Corso Italia, through the Piazza Tasso, visiting each of the numerous churches along the way.
At 20:00 on Good Friday, an evening procession remembers the death of Christ and draw enormous crowds, who come to watch the procession of hooded men. The Summer of Music Festival is another crowd pleaser, as is the highly acclaimed Sorrento Film Festival each November, which is amongst Italy's most important.
National public holidays in Sorrento and throughout Italy as shown below:
- New Year's Day (Anno Nuovo / Capodanno) - January 1st)
- Epiphany (Befana / Epifania) - January 6th
- Easter Monday (Lunedi dell'Angelo / Pasquetta) - March / April
- Liberation Day (Giorno della Liberazione) - April 25th
- Labour Day (Festa del Lavoro) - May 1st
- Republic Day (Festa della Repubblica) - June 2nd
- Feast of the Assumption (Ferragosto / Assunzione) - August 15th
- All Saints' Day (Ognissanti) - November 1st
- Feast of the Immaculate Conception (Immaculata Concezione) - December 8th
- Christmas Day (Natale) - December 25th
- Boxing Day (Festa di Santo Stefano) - December 26th