Hanover Hotels and Accommodation
(Hanover, Lower Saxony, Germany)
Whilst many visitors arriving in Hanover choose to book their accommodation in advance, others prefer to take pot luck in the hope of a last-minute bargain.
At times this can work well and the Hanover tourist office on the Ernst-August-Platz will usually be able to book you a room for a reasonably small fee.
However, should you choose to visit the city of Hanover during one of its enormous trade fairs, you will find an altogether different story. Trade shows bring hoards of business travellers to Hanover and as a result, lodging and accommodation options become both scarce and extremely pricey, with hotel rates often more than doubling.
Therefore, during the busiest periods in Hanover, many people choose to look outside of the city for cheaper hotels, particularly around the Celle and Hildesheim areas.
Where to Stay
Hotels within central Hanover are always a good bet, provided that you can find reasonably priced accommodation. Hotels in the city centre, on the outskirts, and around the Old Town (Altstadt) district are particularly concentrated around the following areas of Hanover.
- Am Markt - within the heart of Old Town
- Friedrichswall - just a short walk from the main train station (Hauptbahnhof)
- Heinrichstrasse - close to the spacious Eilenriede Park
- Hindenburgstrasse - near to Hanover Zoo and a number of other attractions
- Hinueberstrasse - next to a spacious pedestrianised zone and within walking distance of the train station
- Leisewitzstrasse - near to Hanover's main conference centre
- Limburgstrasse - where lodging is conveniently close to the Old Town area
- Luisenstrasse - in the very heart of central Hamburg
- Schlosswender Strasse - featuring a number of elegant hotels and luxury accommodation options
Another popular part of Hanover is the Maschee district, which lies close to the city centre and is based around a large man-made lake. Many hotels are situated near to Lake Maschee and suit those who enjoy outdoor activities and water sports, with sailing and windsurfing being readily available outside of the winter months, together with a beach area. Accommodation within the Maschee area of Hanover is usually extremely family friendly and features a number of summer events, such as the Maschseefest, an enormous festival with live music, entertainment and plenty of food stalls.
Also worth looking out for are the many charming hotels located within Hanover's Buchholz, Hainholz, Laatzen, List, Messe, Nordstadt, Oststadt, Vahrenwald and Wülfel districts.