Bandung Restaurants and Dining
(Bandung, West Java, Indonesia)
Eating out in Bandung is an important part of any holiday, providing the chance for tourists to fully immerse themselves in the local dining scene and enjoy the immense Indonesian fare on offer. Many excellent restaurants, bakeries, cafes, bars and similar eateries in central Bandung tend to line the Jalan Braga, and these are perfect for daytime dining and evening entertainment.
By night, the best restaurants in Bandung tend to be found lining the Jalan Cikapundung Barat, close to the Ramayana department store. Local cuisine is obviously a mainstay in Java, although if Indonesian dishes aren't really your thing, then there are plenty of international offerings to tempt your taste buds, ranging from Chinese noodles and seafood, to pizzas, pasta, Thai curries and tasty barbecues.
What to Eat
There are many sumptuous Indonesian delicacies served at restaurants and dining venues throughout Bandung, a number of which are specific to this part of Java and often available from street vendors. Look out for:
- Bakso Tahu - steamed parcel of meat, served with soy sauce and peanut paste
- Laksa Bandung - chicken and coconut soup
- Lotek - mixed vegetables, with chillies and peanut paste
- Martabak - stuffed pancakes (can be either sweet or savoury)
- Mie Kocok - noodle soup
- Nasi Timbel - rice wrapped in a banana leaf and served with chicken, tofu and sliced raw vegetables (lalapan)
- Oncom Bandung - fermented soy bean cake
- Soto Bandung - beef and vegetable broth, with lemon grass and soy beans
Do note that the majority of restaurants and dining establishments in Bandung do not serve alcoholic drinks with their meals. Fruit juice and icy yoghurt drinks tend to be favoured instead, especially at lunchtimes.