Kotoka International Airport (ACC) Information
(Ghana, GH, Western Africa)
Kotoka International Airport is Ghana's premier aviation hub. It is able to handle even the largest aircraft, such as the Boeing 747-8. Renamed in 2007 from Ghana International Airport, the facility boasts a yearly passenger throughput of around two million. This complex serves the Accra area and the sub-region of Western Africa, and is a base for three domestic carriers, namely Starbow Airlines, Antrak Air and CTK CityLink.
A number of major world airlines serve Accra, including British Airways, Lufthansa, Delta Air Lines, United Airlines, Virgin Atlantic, KLM, Iberia, Alitalia and South African Airways, as well as national flag carriers from African countries. Full-service flights across the continent and the world are provided, with destinations including London, Washington DC, Madrid
, Rome and Lisbon, while comprehensive domestic and regional routes are served by smaller airlines.
Located a short drive from the centre of Accra, Kotoka International Airport has recently enjoyed a series of improvements and upgrades, intended to boost its passenger numbers still further. Officially a military / public facility, the airport has a single terminal serving both arrivals and departures on different levels.
Kotoka International Airport (ACC)
Address: Airport Road / Burma Camp Main Road, Accra, Ghana
Tel: +233 302 776 171
Kotoka International Airport is situated just 10 km / 6 miles from Accra city centre. The facility takes its name after Emmanuel Kwasi Kotoka, a member of the ruling party who was killed onsite during an attempted coup in 1967. A commemorative statue of Kotoka is based onsite.
- An airport information desk is found in the Arrivals hall, along with a tourist information desk
- ATMs are located in the terminal
- A bureau de change is situated in the International Departures hall
- Wi-Fi Internet access is available in the Departures lounges
- A VIP and business class lounge is located in the Departures area
- Car rental with driver is provided through Avis or Europcar
- Limited assistance for disabled passengers is available on request
- Food outlets and an airside bar, including the Muttini Bacchi food court, are found in the terminal
- Outside the terminal, dining options include Aerostar, the Landing Restaurant and Twinsti
- The Dufry duty free store is located in the International Departures area
- Secure parking spaces are available adjacent to the terminal
From Airport Road, turn left onto Liberation Road, which runs direct from the facility, leading to Independence Avenue and Castle Road, in Accra's city centre. The journey takes around 30 minutes in fair traffic conditions. Visitors are strongly advised to hire a car with a local driver, since driving conditions in Accra can be challenging.
There are no bus routes between the airport complex and the city centre, although upscale hotels may be able to provide a shuttle service for guests. Passengers should arrange a pick-up through their hotel in advance of arrival.
Shared or metered taxis provide the only onward transportation to the city of Accra and are found at Car Park 2, outside the terminal. Haggling for the fare before you depart is necessary.