Amalfi Events and Festivals
(Amalfi, Campania, Italy)
Amongst the many seasonal activities and things to do in Amalfi, there are a number of events worth mentioning. These festivals tend to reliably draw large crowds and if you are lucky enough to be on holiday in Amalfi during one of these celebrations, then you are in for a treat.
The Feast Days are always a lot of fun and these festivals include the Feast Days of St. Andrew in the latter part of June and again at the end of November, which celebrates the life of St. Andrew, the patron saint of Amalfi. During mid-August, another event of note is the Feast of the Assumption, which is staged throughout Italy as a whole and always cause for much frivolity.
Amalfi Calendar of Festivals and Events 2014 / 2015
At the beginning of June, on the first Sunday, this part of Italy plays host to a popular traditional rowing contest, known as the Palio delle Quattro Repubbliche Marche, where the region's four republics of Amalfi, Venice
and also Pisa
compete for the title. Each year, this event rotates and is hosted at a different one of these locations. Therefore, the Palio delle Quattro Repubbliche Marche festival is only held in Amalfi every four years (2009 / 2013 / 2017), but when it is, you can expect huge crowds and accommodation soon becomes scarce.
Each year on August 31st, the Byzantine Empire is remembered and it is on this date that the Byzantine New Year's Eve is celebrated. In the midst of the winter months and seasonal Yuletide festivities, crazy local skin divers from Amalfi make an annual pilgrimage to the ceramic crib within the famous Grotta dello Smeraldo (Emerald Grotto) and brave the chilly waters.
The national public holidays in Amalfi and throughout Italy are as follows:
- New Year's Day (Anno Nuovo / Capodanno) - January 1st)
- Epiphany (Befana / Epifania) - January 6th
- Easter Monday (Lunedi dell'Angelo / Pasquetta) - March / April
- Liberation Day (Giorno della Liberazione) - April 25th
- Labour Day (Festa del Lavoro) - May 1st
- Republic Day (Festa della Repubblica) - June 2nd
- Feast of the Assumption (Ferragosto / Assunzione) - August 15th
- All Saints' Day (Ognissanti) - November 1st
- Feast of the Immaculate Conception (Immaculata Concezione) - December 8th
- Christmas Day (Natale) - December 25th
- Boxing Day (Festa di Santo Stefano) - December 26th