Liege Events and Festivals 2014 / 2015
(Liege, Wallonia, Belgium)
A useful monthly entertainment guide to Liege is the 'La Référence' booklet, which is packed with events listings, rock and jazz concerts, and any current festivals, which are taking place. Its proximity to Belgium's capital city means that not only are visitors treated to Liege's calendar of events, but also to the many annual festivals taking place down the road, in nearby Brussels.
An array of prominent Belgian folk festivals are associated with Liege, with the 'Le Quinze Aout' (Le 15 Août) being amongst the biggest and taking place every year on August 15th. Based around the Outre-Meuse quarter, this huge event sees crowds numbering more than 300,000 people, who come to enjoy the processions, market stalls and tasty food.
Also look out for the regular Sunday market known as the 'Marché de la Batte', the Festival of Walking each August, and the funfair every November. In December, the Christmas Markets in Liege brighten up even the coldest of days and is a great place to find some unusual and interest stocking fillers.
Liege National Public Holidays
- New Year's Day - January 1st
- Easter - March / April
- Labour Day - May 1st
- Ascension Day - 40th day following Easter
- Whit Monday - seventh Monday following Easter
- Luxembourg National Day - June 23rd
- Festival of the Flemish Community - July 11th (Flanders only)
- National Belgium Day - July 21st
- Assumption - August 15th
- Walloon Community - September 27th
- All Saints' Day - November 1st
- Armistice Day - November 11th
- Christmas Day - December 25th