Wellington International Airport (WLG) Information
(Wellington, North Island, New Zealand NZ)
New Zealand's capital city of Wellington, on the North Island, is easy to reach by air from major international and regional airports in New Zealand, Australia and many other locations around the world. Wellington Airport (WLG) features direct flights from all over New Zealand, including Auckland, Blenheim, Chatham Islands, Christchurch, Dunedin, Gisborne, Hamilton, Napier, Nelson, New Plymouth, Picton, Wanganui and Westport.
Located near to Wellington city centre, Wellington Airport (WLG) has good public travel and transport options and car hire is readily available at the airport.
Wellington Airports Guide
Wellington International Airport (WLG)
Address: Stewart Duff Drive, Rongotai, Wellington, North Island, New Zealand NZ
Tel: +64 (0)4 385 5100
Wellington Airport (WLG) can be found just 8 km / 5 miles to the south-east of central Wellington. The airport is one of New Zealand's largest and most popular airports, with a huge number of regular and scheduled flights.
Wellington Airport (WLG) has one large airport terminal, with good facilities. The terminal at Wellington Airport (WLG) serves a number of national and international airlines at the airport, including Air New Zealand, Qantas Airways, Freedom Air and Soundsair, all offering a variety of different flights, including many budget options.
- 24-hour cash machines (ATMs), bureau de change and banking facilities on the terminal's first floor
- A variety of restaurants, cafés, coffee shops, bakeries and bars around the airport
- Plenty of shops and retail areas throughout Wellington Airport (WLG), including gift shops, newsagents and duty-free outlets, in the main concourse areas of arrivals and departures
- Modern airport check-in facilities and air-conditioned terminal buildings
- Runway and airline viewing areas
- Car hire and rental companies - including Avis Rent-A-Car, Budget Rent A Car, Thrifty and HERTZ Corporation Car Rental
- Business facilities, conference rooms and meeting rooms available at the Wellington Airport Conference Centre, including photocopying, fax machines, telephones and fast Internet access
- Short-term parking and premium parking over two floors, with direct access to Wellington Airport (WLG)
- Long-term parking is available close to the airport, with free regular shuttle buses travelling to the terminal building
- Special facilities for disabled passengers with wheelchairs readily available, although advance booking is generally required
- Other facilities at Wellington Airport WLG include travel and information desks, luggage storage, luggage trolleys, large Airline lounges and mobile phone hire
Central Wellington is extremely easy to reach from Wellington Airport (WLG), with the main route being through the tunnel around Evans Bay and close to Mount Victoria. The journey from Wellington Airport (WLG) into the city centre takes up to 20 minutes, depending upon traffic levels.
Buses travel outside of Wellington Airport (WLG) at regular intervals and are operated by Stagecoach Flyer. Travelling between Hutt Valley and Wellington city centre, these airport buses are located to the south of the airport's terminal building. Airport bus travel into Wellington is the most inexpensive way to travel.
Shared shuttle buses are becoming an increasingly popular method of transport at Wellington Airport (WLG) and this much-used minibus service links the airport with any address in the city centre. Regular shuttle buses at Wellington Airport (WLG) depart from the airport's terminal building entrance and the cost is generally dependent upon the number of passengers travelling on the airport's shuttle bus.
Many airport taxis are situated outside of Wellington Airport (WLG) and the airport taxi ranks can be found next to the airport's main terminal entrance. These airport taxis are extremely popular and provide and inexpensive way to travel into the nearby city of Wellington and other areas on the south coast of New Zealand's North Island. The journey into Wellington city by taxi should take around 15 to 20 minutes.