Salem Events, Things to Do and Festivals 2014 / 2015
(Salem, Oregon - OR, USA)
There is a fairly decent selection of annual events spread around the calendar of Oregon's capital, meaning that whenever you arrive in the city, there will likely be seasonal things to do. Notable venues include the Elsinore Theater, the McCulloch Stadium and the Reed Opera House, as well as the Salem Convention Center on Commercial Street.
The Salem Saturday Market commences in May and runs all through the summer, reliably drawing the crowds. In June, the World Beat Festival arrives at the Riverfront Park, with its exciting dragon boat races along the Willamette River being a real highlight.
At the very end of July, the Riverfront Park is called home by the taste extravaganza that is Bite and Brew of Salem, while also held at roughly the same time is the hugely popular Art Fair and Festival at Bush's Pasture Park, attended by literally thousands. The Great Oregon Steam Up runs from late July to early August, and at the end of the month, the Oregon State Fair offers live music at the L. B. Day Comcast Amphitheater, together with sporting events, livestock galore, lots of trade stands and even horse racing.
Salem Calendar of Festivals and Events 2014 / 2015
- First Taste Oregon - held at the Oregon State Fair and Exposition Center in late January (formerly the Oregon Wine, Food and Brew Festival).
- Mid-Valley Video Festival - late February, with screenings of independent local films.
- Social Pow-Wow - mid-March, at Willamette University, celebrating the history and culture of Native Americans with traditional dances and songs, crafts and artwork .
- Salem Film Festival - mid-April, a showcase for independent filmmakers.
- Keizer Iris Festival - mid-May, four days of family fun with an art show, music and dancing, exhibits and running competitions.
- World Beat - late June, two days of celebrating culture and heritage from around the world at the Riverfront Park. Featuring dancing, cooking demonstrations, dragon boats, a Native American Pow-Wow and much more.
- Art Fair and Festival - late July, at Bush's Pasture Park, this three-day affair draws in over 50,000 visitors, who come to view more than 200 local, national and international artists.
- Bite and Brew of Salem - late July, at the Riverfront Park, a three-day event to showcase local restaurants, wines and beers.
- Great Oregon Steam Up - late July to early August, at Antique Powerland, this event attracts approximately 25,000 visitors. The main highlight is the collection of steam-powered machinery in action.
- Capitol Pride - early August, GLBT fest celebrating diversity with entertainment, food and information booths.
- Oregon State Fair - late August to early September, includes livestock displays, horse shows, arts and crafts competitions, live music and much more.
- Redhawk Winery Wine Festival - Labor Day weekend, visitors will enjoy food and music alongside wine and barrel tasting.
- Great Willamette Clean Up - first Saturday in October, volunteers partake in a community clean-up along the length of the Willamette River.
- Chefs' Nite Out - early October, at the Salem Conference Center, an annual fundraiser to help fight hunger.
- Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony - late November, at the Riverfront Park, with ornament making and hanging, and free candy canes for children.
- Festival of Lights Holiday Parade - mid-December, in Keizer, Oregon, within 15 minutes of Salem. This is a popular event where spectators can watch floats decorated in the year's theme, as well as a parade through the streets.