Jefferson City Events, Things to Do and Festivals 2014 / 2015
(Jefferson City, Missouri - MO, USA)
Pleasantly mild winters and warm summers mean that the schedule of annual events offered in Jefferson City is year-round. However, as the year progresses, the choice of festivals certainly increases, with the Art Exposed Gallery Crawl each May and the Blues Brews and Brats Festival the following month, in June, being two particular highlights.
The day before Independence Day (July 4th), the Salute to America celebrations begin with a procession through the streets and live entertainment on the Capitol Main Stage. Live music continues all through the next day and night, with the event culminating in a spectacular fireworks display. Later on in the year and held at the very end of September, Oktoberfest offers the opportunity for some serious beer tasting amidst a strong Bavarian theme.
There is often something going on at the Miller Performing Arts Center on Madison Street, which started its life in the mid-1920s as the Jefferson City Junior College and is now best known for its concerts and musical productions staged by the Jefferson City Concert Association.
Jefferson City Calendar of Festivals and Events 2014 / 2015
- Museum after Hours - first Wednesday of each month, at the Missouri State Museum. Galleries remain open until 21:00.
- Bridal Spectacular - a gathering for engaged couples to access Missouri businesses that provide wedding products and services, held at the YMCA, Firley Center.
- Ice Show - held at Washington Park Ice Arena in late February / early March. The show includes performances from members of the Jefferson City Figure Skating Club.
- Women's Official Weekend Festival - mid-March, at the Capital Mall. A fun weekend aimed exclusively for women that includes cooking, hair and fashion, health and fitness shows, and pottery and canvas painting classes.
- Capital City Cookoff - a two-day event at the Jaycee Fairgrounds. This fundraiser for the Special Learning Center Foundation includes several competitions, with a blind tasting by foodie judges.
- Art Exposed Gallery Crawl - local galleries throughout the city participate in this free event that combines art, refreshments and music.
- Central Missouri Master Gardeners Annual Plant Sale - early May at the Jaycee Fairgrounds, with free entry to the indoor horticultural-themed sale.
- Memorial Day Concert - a free performance by the Jefferson City Community Symphonic Band at the First Christian Church.
- Barge into History Festival - an insightful history tour on a barge down the Missouri River, organized by the Discover Jefferson City Foundation to promote tourism in the city.
- Blues Brews and Brats Festival - early June, in Historic Old Munichburg (the Southside Business District), established in 2011 and completely free to attend.
- MFA Oil Poker Run and Car Show - mid-June. Jefferson City is one of six start locations for this ride, which finishes at the city's Memorial Park. All funds raised go to charity.
- Salute to America - July 4th, Independence Day celebrations, includes a beer garden, car show, carnival rides, sand sculptures, food courts, parade and fireworks.
- Rotaract Kicks in the Sticks - early August, at Binder Park. This fundraiser features three different distance routes, and live entertainment and refreshments after the race.
- Capital Jazzfest and Capital Street Art Fair - held in downtown Jefferson City. Chalk art adorns the city's streets in the pavement competition on a day that incorporates various jazz performances.
- Race to the Dome - held mid-September, this is a charity canoe race on the Missouri River, from either Providence or Hartsburg to Jefferson City.
- Home Tours - houses in historic districts of Jefferson City open their doors to the public.
- Oktoberfest - held the last weekend of the month and sponsored by the Old Munichburg Association. This is nothing short of a celebration of German culture, with plenty to eat and drink.
- Capital City Cross Country Challenge - a cross country race at the Oak Hills Golf Center.
- MultiCultural Fall Festival - held in the city center, with arts and crafts, children's storytellers, food and much more.
- Downtown Holiday Open House - early November. Stores in downtown Jefferson City open their doors for extended hours to start off the 'Holiday' shopping season.
- Mayor's Christmas Tree Lighting - at Rotary Park with refreshments and a visit from Santa Claus.
- Candlelight Tours - a tour of the seasonal attractions in the city, including the decorated Governor's Mansion.
- Christmas Parade - early December, bands and floats travel the route through the downtown district.
- Capitol Caroling - the city's public school choirs perform carols at the Missouri Capitol Rotunda.