Iquitos Events and Festivals
(Iquitos, Loreto, Peru)
The Amazon city of Iquitos is full of things to do, with plenty of seasonal events and annual festivals to happily coincide with many a holiday to this part of northern Peru.
Many of the main festivals and fiestas in Iquitos tend to be of a religious nature and follow the liturgical calendar of the Roman Catholics.
A true highlight in Iquitos is without question the San Juan Festival between June 23rd and 25th. This popular event involves dancing and serious partying next to the Amazon River, honouring St. John the Baptist (San Juan Bautista). Jungle food plays an important part of the celebrations, with plentiful 'juanes' (stuffed leaves) and 'tacacho' (a baked banana-based dish).
Iquitos Festivals and Events 2014 / 2015: General Information
Other important events in the Iquitos area include the following.
- Anniversary Celebrations - early January
- Carnival Season - throughout February
- Semana Santa (Holy Week) - late March / early April
- Labour Day - May 1st
- Feast of Saint Peter and Saint Paul - June 29th
- Fiestas Patrias (National Independence Days) - July 28th and 29th
- Santa Clara Crafts Festival - mid-August
- Festival of the Senora de la Natividad - September 7th
- Todos Santos (All Saints Day) - November 1st
- Festival of the Purisima - December 8th