Assisi Events and Festivals
(Assisi, Umbria, Italy)
If you can time your stay in Assisi with one of the town's seasonal festivals and religious events, then you can be sure that you will enjoy a very different element to your holiday. Although tourists staying in Assisi will never really be short of things to do, the various festivals offer a great way to interact with the Italians and learn a little more about their rich culture.
Easter Week is known in Italy as 'Settimana Santa' and is always celebrated in Assisi with great spirit and enthusiasm. The many events are all religious in their origin and include various processions through the streets and live performances.
Assisi Calendar of Festivals and Events 2014 / 2015
Shortly after the Settimana Santa festivals in April, Assisi plays host to the very exciting Festa di Calendimaggio (Feast of Calendimaggio). Taking place each year in the first week of May, the Festa di Calendimaggio is a medieval event, staged to mark the official arrival of spring. You can expect lots of costumed parades, flag-wavers, dancing and theatrical shows, amongst other events.
On the 3rd and 4th October, Assisi fills up with crowds, who arrive to join in the partying and great merriment during the Festa di San Francesco (Feast of St. Francis). This is a major religious festival and comprises a number of different events, which seem to get bigger and grander year on year.
Italy / Assisi National Public Holidays
- New Year's Day (Anno Nuovo / Capodanno) - January 1st)
- Epiphany (Befana / Epifania) - January 6th
- Easter Monday (Lunedi dell'Angelo / Pasquetta) - March / April
- Liberation Day (Giorno della Liberazione) - April 25th
- Labour Day (Festa del Lavoro) - May 1st
- Republic Day (Festa della Repubblica) - June 2nd
- Feast of the Assumption (Ferragosto / Assunzione) - August 15th
- All Saints' Day (Ognissanti) - November 1st
- Feast of the Immaculate Conception (Immaculata Concezione) - December 8th
- Christmas Day (Natale) - December 25th
- Boxing Day (Festa di Santo Stefano) - December 26th