Dubrovnik Landmarks and Monuments

(Dubrovnik, Southern Dalmatia, Croatia)




The spectacular medieval city walls which enclose Dubrovnik's Old Town are its most famous monuments, with their towers and four forts which have protected the city from Venetian and other incursions for hundreds of years. A walk around the walls ending at the 11th-century Lovrijenac Fortress is a journey back in time, into Dubrovnik's chequered history.

Few Renaissance buildings and landmarks actually survived the disastrous earthquake 400 years ago, but those that remain stand in their splendour as a reminder of past glories. Their replacements are perhaps even more imposing.


City Walls / Forts (Gradske Zidine)


Address: Dubrovnik, Croatia, HR
Tel: +385 020 258 420
The spectacular medieval walls, fortresses and gates of Dubrovnik's Old Town are its most powerful attraction and landmark, being built between the 13th century and 16th century. Framing the Old Town, the walls stand some 25 metres / 82-feet tall and up to 6 metres / 20 feet thick, having protected the city for literally centuries. The panoramas over the city and sea are superb and there are four fortresses distanced around the walls - St. John's Fortress, the Revelin Fort, the Bokar Fortress and the magnificent Lovrijenac Fortress. Circumnavigating the entire circuit will last around an hour, longer if you take your time.
Open hours: July and August, daily - 09:00 to 19:30, hours vary at other times of year
Admission: charge

Old Port


Address: Dubrovnik, Croatia, HR
Dubrovnik's picturesque old harbour lies directly beneath the massive city walls and fortresses, backed by the red roofs of the Old Town. This is one the oldest parts of this ancient city and is nowadays crowded with privately owned cruisers and gleaming yachts, as well as local fishing boats. The view across the port (from the sea towards the town) is magnificent and well worth bringing your camera to capture.
Open hours: daily
Admission: free

Rector's Palace (Knezev Dvor)


Address: Pred Dvorom 3, Dubrovnik, Croatia, HR
Tel: +385 020 321 437
This graceful Venetian-Gothic palace was built to the south of Luza Square, where it replaced two previous palaces, both of which were demolished when gunpowder stored in their basements exploded. Rectors of the city were required to live in the palace during their terms of office, and the structure also housed state offices and dungeons. The Rector's Palace dates from the late 15th century and is known for its ornamental facade, majestic staircase and atrium with its statue of wealthy Croatian Miho Pracat (1522 to 1607). Concerts taking place during Dubrovnik's Summer Festival are held in the palace's courtyard and always draw a sizeable crowd.
Open hours: May to September, daily - 09:00 to 19:00; October to April, Monday to Saturday - 09:00 to 14:00
Admission: charge, discounts available for students and children

Orlando Column


Address: Luza Square, Dubrovnik, Croatia, HR
This chiselled stone statue and column represents legendary literary hero, 'Orlando Furioso', and is believed to have been modelled on Roman Emperor Charlemagne's nephew. Erected in 1419, the base of the column was the site for public announcements, notices and punishments. In the legend, the heroic warrior defied Saracen attempts to conquer Ragusa in the 9th century, and has been the representative of freedom fighters ever since. The Orlando Column is often used as a place to meet up and is a good point of reference for tourists.
Open hours: daily
Admission: free

Onofrio's Fountains


Address: Dubrovnik, Croatia, HR
There are two Onofrio's Fountains in the Old Town - one located at each end of the Stradun at the city gates - affectionately named Big Onofrio and Little Onofrio. Erected in the 15th century, their purpose was to provide a source of clean water so that arrivals could wash away plague germs before entering the city. The ice-cold water is supplied from the Dubrovnik River, approximately 11 km / 7 miles away via an aqueduct. The two fountains have finely carved heads, with the largest being simply enormous, circular in shape and topped with a dome.
Open hours: daily
Admission: free

City Bell Tower


Address: Dominican Monastery, Ulica Svetog Dominika 4, off Luza Square, Dubrovnik, Croatia, HR
The Old Town's stark white-stone Bell Tower rises from the red-tiled roofs of the Dominican Monastery in Luza Square and this imposing landmark is clearly visible from all over the city. The bell was cast in the early 16th century by the great metalworker Ivan Krstitelj Rabljanin, who also cast the famous cannon in Lovrijenac Fortress. Lower down the tower is a 15th-century clock, which still marks the hours today.
Open hours: daily
Admission: free

St. Lawrence Fortress (Fort Lovrijenac)


Address: Dubrovnik, Croatia, HR
Tel: +385 020 425 222
Begun in the 11th century, Fort Lovrijenac looms over the Old Town from its commanding position, atop a massive stone outcrop rising from the sea at the very tip of the peninsula. Two drawbridges lead to the interior of this prominent local landmark, with an inscription reading - 'All the gold in the world cannot buy freedom'. Its massive cannons freed the city from the threat of Venetian occupation between the 14th and 17th centuries, while its 12-metre / 39-foot outer walls provided much protection. Nowadays the addition of a stage in the courtyard has made the fort famous as a Shakespeare theatre, as well as for its historic links to the city.
Open hours: daily
Admission: charge

Luza Square


Address: Luza Square, Dubrovnik, Croatia, HR
At the east end of the Stradun in the Old Town lies busy Luza Square, close to the Old Harbour and the Little Onofrio Fountain. Formerly a bustling marketplace, the square is often used as a meeting place for locals, along with tourists, with its fountain, Bell Tower and pretty St. Blaise's Church all adding to the overall appeal. The square is home to the annual Dubrovnik Summer Festival and the St. Blaise saint's day procession each February, which ends here at the church.
Open hours: daily
Admission: free

Pile Gate


Address: Placa, Dubrovnik, Croatia, HR
Anyone planning to explore the city on foot will find that the Pile Gate is a good starting point, being located on the far westerly side of the Placa (Stradun) and constructed in 1537. The drawbridge fronting the Pile Gate was once lifted each evening, with the gate being locked and the key held by none other than the prince. As you walk through the gate, look out for the statue of St. Blaise - the city's patron saint, and the inner gate, which is even older and was built in 1460. Entering the city this way is very exciting, since the surrounding fortifications completely hide the buildings inside.
Open hours: daily - 24 hours
Admission: free






Dubrovnik

I'm looking for: