Auckland Airport (AKL) Information
(Auckland, North Island, New Zealand NZ)
New Zealand's largest city of Auckland is easy to reach by air from the major international and regional airports in New Zealand, Australia and many other locations around the world. Auckland Airport (AKL) functions as the country's principal international gateway and major airlines operating here include names such as Air New Zealand, Air Pacific, Emirates, Great Barrier Airlines, Jetstar Airways, Mountain Air, Qantas, Thai Airways International and Virgin Australia.
The facilities here are excellent, catering to just under 15 million annual passengers. Close by, there are a number of attractions, including a popular Campervan Park, plenty of shopping opportunities, miniature golf and a butterfly sanctuary. Further neighbouring places of interest include the Ambury Farm Park, Aorere Park, the Mangere Domain and the Puhinui Reserve.
Of note, a series of major roads are located nearby, such as the Auckland-Hamilton Motorway, the South-Western Motorway / Hugh Watt Drive and Puhinui Road.
Auckland Airports Guide
Auckland Airport (AKL)
Address: Mangere, Auckland, North Island, New Zealand NZ
Tel: +64 (0)9 275 0789
Auckland Airport is situated just 20 km / 12.5 miles south of the city centre. This is New Zealand's largest and most popular airport, with regular flights throughout the day and night.
The airport has two large domestic terminals, one operated by Air New Zealand and the other by Qantas, as well as an international terminal building. Connected by regular shuttles every 15 minutes from 05:00 to 22:30, terminals serve a number of national and international airlines.
Parking shouldn't be a problem, with roughly 2,300 spaces situated alongside the Domestic Terminal, and some 3,750 spaces next to the International Terminal, as well as a Park and Ride area with more than 700 spaces.
- 24-hour cash machines (ATMs), banks and bureau de change facilities
- Numerous restaurants, cafés and bars, including the Jean Batten Food Court on the first floor, as well as the Bach Alehouse and Cafe, Espresso Plus, Hayama Sushi, McDonald's, the River Cafe, Sumo Salad, Tank Juice and Wishbone
- Retail areas with more than 80 small shops, including Beachculture, Carri-On, DFS Galleria, JR Duty Free, News Travels, NZ and Beyond, and Relay
- Modern check-in facilities and air-conditioned terminal buildings
- Public telephones, mobile phone hire and Internet kiosks
- Runway and airline viewing areas
- Car hire companies - including Avis Rent-A-Car, Budget Rent A Car, Europcar, Hertz Rental and Thrifty
- Campervan and motor home rental, including Backpacker Campervans, Britz NZ, ExploreMore, Jucy Rentals and Maui NZ Motorhome Rentals
- Large airport lounge areas
- Business facilities, including two large conference rooms, meeting rooms, Internet access, photocopying and fax machines
- Short-term parking (business express, covered and uncovered), with direct access
- Long-term open-air and undercover secure parking, located nearby
- Special facilities for disabled passengers, with wheelchairs readily available
- Other facilities include advanced left luggage, an onsite chapel, a visitors centre, medical services, immigration facilities, quarantine areas, children's playgrounds and a small golf course
The centre of Auckland is close to the airport, being connected by the main southern motorway and reachable in around 30 minutes, depending upon traffic. Many visitors to this part of New Zealand choose to hire a car for the duration of their holiday, driving to neighbouring towns and cities, such as Glenfield, Hamilton, Manukau, Morrinsville, Pukekohe, Rosedale and Tauranga.
Buses / Shuttles
Shuttle buses are available at Auckland Airport, providing a handy minibus service to any address in the city centre. Operated by Super Shuttle, these minibuses depart from the international terminal every 20 minutes, between 06:30 and 20:30, meeting all incoming flights. A convenient ten-minute Airbus Express service links the Central Business District, the ferry terminal and other places of interest, stopping next to the Mount Eden railway station. Further bus services ply the route between Botany Downs and Manukau.
A large number of resident taxis are readily available at Auckland Airport (AKL) and the taxi ranks are located to the west of the international terminal, as well as outside of the domestic terminal buildings. These taxis are operated by Alert, Auckland Co-op, Corporate Cabs and North Shore Taxis. Those looking for executive cars and limos should contact Ford Limousines to arrange this service.