Bangkok Shopping and Districts
When visiting Bangkok, be sure to allocate some time to explore the many shopping malls, department stores and colourful markets. Traditional woven Thai silk is particularly famous in Bangkok and many visitors to the city find this to be the perfect souvenir.
With many enormous shopping malls in Bangkok, you could easily spend several days doing nothing but shopping. Look out for the Seacon Square complex along Srinakarin Road, the Siam Centre and Siam Discovery Centre on Rama 1 Road, the Siam Square on Phayathai Road, and the popular Mah Boon Krong (MBK) Centre on Phayathai Road. For some of the cheapest shopping and trendiest stores in Bangkok, head to Khao San Road, part of Asia's popular backpacker's trail.
Where to Shop
Many of the biggest and most impressive shopping centres in Bangkok incorporate large food courts and plenty of restaurants and even entertainment complexes, with tenpin bowling, multi-screen cinemas and bars, such as the Central World Plaza on Ratchadamri Road. Here you will also find a rather unexpected ice-skating rink, amongst the many flagship stores and maze of shops. Worth noting, the top floor of Bangkok's Central World Plaza is home to a popular government-operated duty-free shop.
Chinatown is a particularly interesting and appealing place to visit in Bangkok and is full of endless shopping opportunities, with many large shops standing alongside eye-catching oriental architecture. The bustling Chinatown district has long been the premier shopping area for Thailand's significant Chinese community and here you will find everything from electrical goods and homeware, to antiques and jewellery. Of course, the advantage of shopping in Bangkok's Chinatown is that you are never far from a good restaurant specialising in authentic Catonese cuisine.
Shopping at markets is a good way to soak up Bangkok's alluring atmosphere and the Suan Luam Night Bazaar is the perfect spot to start your bargain hunting. The Patpong Night Market is also a popular part after hours and can be found amongst the action within the Pantong neighbourhood and is where you will find many convincing fake designer clothes and watches.
Further markets in Bangkok include the Chatuchak Weekend Market along Phaholyothin Road (next to Chatuchak Public Park), the biggest market of its kind in the whole world and home to literally thousands of traders and shopping opportunities. Close to Bangkok and within nearby Samut Songkhram, Bang Phae-Damnoen Saduak Road is where you will find the enchanting Damnoen Saduak Floating Market. The ultimate shopping experience, this markets boasts a huge selection of traditional traders, who sell their goods whilst paddling around in their small boats.
The main shopping centres, malls, markets and stores in Bangkok are shown below.
Central Chidlom (Department Store)
- Ploenchit Road, Sukhumvit, Bangkok, 10110, Thailand, TH
Tel: +66 02 655 7777
Central World Plaza (Mall)
- Ratchadamri Road, Pathumwan, Bangkok, 10330, Thailand, TH
Tel: +66 02 222 9855
Chatuchak Weekend Market
- Phaholyothin Road, Bangkok, 10900, Thailand, TH
Tel: +66 02 652 8836
- Yaowarat Road, Sampanthawong, Bangkok, 10110, Thailand, TH
Damnoen Saduak Floating Market
- Bang Phae-Damnoen Saduak Road, Samut Songkhram, 70120, Thailand, TH
Tel: +66 02 694 1222
Emporium Shopping Mall
- 622 Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok, 10110, Thailand, TH
Tel: +66 02 664 8000
- 138 Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok, 10110, Thailand, TH
Tel: +66 02 254 0404
Mah Boon Krong (MBK) Shopping Centre
- Phayathai Road, Wangmai, Bangkok, 10330, Thailand, TH
Tel: +66 02 620 9000
Narai Phand (Handicraft Centre)
- 127 Rajadamri Avenue, Lumpini, Pathumwan, Bangkok, 10330, Thailand, TH
Tel: +66 02 252 4670
Playground Shopping Arcade
- 818 Soi Sukhumvit 55 Sukhumvit Road, Klongton Nue Wattana, Bangkok, 10110, Thailand, TH
Tel: +66 02 714 7888
River City Shopping District
- 23 Yota Road, Sampantawong, Bangkok, 10100, Thailand, TH
Tel: +66 02 237 0077
- 904 Srinakarin Road, Nongbon Prawet, Bangkok, 10250, Thailand, TH
Tel: +66 02 721 8888
Siam Centre and Siam Discovery Centre
- 979 / 989 Rama 1 Road, Pathumwan, Bangkok, 10330, Thailand, TH
Tel: +66 02 658 1000 19
Siam Square Shopping District
- Phayathai Road, Bangkok, 10400, Thailand, TH
- Samsen Road / Chao Phraya, Bangkok, 10200, Thailand, TH