Penang International Airport (ACA) Information
(Penang, Federal Territory, Malaysia)
Formerly known as the Bayan Lepas International Airport and managed by Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad, Penang International Airport is Malaysia's third-busiest. Each year more than four million travellers pass through the facility en route to one of Malaysia's top island resort destinations, Penang.
This busy hub has a great selection of direct domestic and international flights to destinations around Asia. Two Malaysian carriers, AirAsia and Firefly, use Penang's airport as a hub of operations and handle the bulk of flights around the country. International destinations include Phuket, Bangkok, Singapore, Hong Kong and Guangzhou via SilkAir, Thai Airways, Cathay Pacific and a handful of other carriers.
Located 15 km / 9 miles from Penang's capital, Georgetown, the airport terminal has a solid range of amenities for passengers. Transportation options include taxis, car rental and a selection of bus routes, which connect Georgetown and other major destinations across the island.
Penang International Airport (ACA)
Address: Lapangan Terbang Antarabangsa Pulau Pinang, Jalan Sultan Azlan Shah, 11900, Bayan Lepas, 11900, Penang, Malaysia
Tel: +60 04 643 4411
Penang International Airport is situated on the southerly outskirts of Georgetown, the capital and largest city on Penang Island. Nearby are the suburbs of the Batu Maung New Village, Kampong Sungai Tiram and Pekan Baru Batu Maung. Although the terminal is relatively modest, its lack of crowds and bustle make it one of South-East Asia's most pleasant air hubs. Taxis are the preferred means of transport from the terminal, but car hire is also an option, with excellent road access around the island.
- Several ATMs, currency exchange kiosks and a bank are located inside the main terminal
- A McDonald's and a branch of Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf offer reliable international food and drinks in the Departures area
- Several shops sell travel sundries, reading material and gifts in both the Domestic and International concourses
- Duty free outlets are available in the International Departures concourse
- Car hire firms such as Hertz, Budget and Avis are found just outside the Arrivals hall
- Book your Penang Car Hire here
- Wireless Internet is available throughout the terminal
- A pharmacy, a first-aid station and a post office are provided in the Departures hall
- A VIP lounge and business centre provide a place to relax and work in the Departures hall
- Parking is adjacent to the terminal, with spaces for 800 vehicles
Cars and Taxis
Taxis are the most convenient means of travel between the airport and destinations around Penang. Just outside Baggage Claim is a taxi counter. Here, arriving passengers can buy a taxi voucher with a fixed rate to their destination, thus avoiding the need to negotiate a fare. The fares are based on seven zones around the island. Of note, there is a 50 percent surcharge between midnight and 06:00, and four passengers is the maximum per taxi. The trip into Georgetown takes roughly 20 minutes.
Car hire is another good choice in Penang for those planning to sightsee. There are several international rental chains, such as Avis and Hertz, and a few Malaysian outfits on hand, just outside of Baggage Claim. The new Bayan Lepas Expressway means that the trip from the airport to Georgetown is quick.
Rapid Penang, the main public bus company on the island, has dedicated routes that run to the airport from Georgetown and a few other island destinations. Of the three routes, number 401E is the most popular, as it heads directly into the centre of Georgetown in around 35 minutes. The Yellow Bus Company is another good choice, with hourly services from the terminal to Pengkalan Weld all day long. Many of the nicer hotels provide complimentary shuttle pick-ups for their guests, who are advised to enquire about this possibility before arrival, to save time and money.