Pittsburgh Links Directory and Travel Resources
(Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - PA, USA)
Many Americans still think of the Pennsylvanian city of Pittsburgh as being a industrial city, with coal factory chimneys and steelworks polluting the air. However, that image is now firmly in the past and today, the city is becoming better known for its pretty neighborhoods and highly livable persona.
The Allegheny, Monongahela and Ohio rivers all add character to the city and create interesting spaces, such as the 'Golden Triangle' area in the city center. Pittsburgh therefore comes with a series of pedestrian-friendly bridges and riverfront attractions, such as Point State Park, the Carnegie Science Center and the giant American football stadium named Heinz Field. Further distractions can be located within districts such as South Side, North Side, Squirrel Hill and Shadyside, while a ride on the steep Duquesne Incline railway up Mount Washington is not to be missed.
Western Pennsylvania visitors should take time to investigate the following Pittsburgh links below.
Travel and Tourism
City of Pittsburgh - Official City Government Website
- 414 Grant Street.
Greater Pittsburgh Convention and Visitors Bureau (CVB)
- 120 5th Avenue, 5th Avenue Place.
Great Allegheny Passage (GAP Rail Trail)
- based at Latrobe.
Montour Trail (Multi-Use Rail Trail)
- based at 304 Hickman Street, Bridgeville.
Senator John Heinz History Center
- 1212 Smallman Street.
August Wilson Center for African American Culture
- 980 Liberty Avenue.
Carnegie Science Center
- 1 Allegheny Avenue.
- 4400 Forbes Avenue.
Frick Art and Historical Center
- 7227 Reynolds Street.
Carnegie Museum of Art
- 4400 Forbes Avenue.
- 1 Schenley Park.
Kennywood Amusement Park
- 4800 Kennywood Boulevard.
Just Ducky Tours
- city tours in an amphibious vehicle, based at 125 West Station Square Drive.
Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium
- everything you need to plan your visit, with animals and exhibits, located at One Wild Place, off Butler Street / Washington Boulevard.
- 4734 Butler Street.
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
- 4400 Forbes Avenue.
- America's Bird Zoo, at Allegheny Commons West.
Andy Warhol Museum
- 117 Sandusky Street.
- operated by the Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy, at 2005 Beechwood Boulevard.
3 Lakes Golf Course
- 6700 Saltsburg Road.
Pittsburgh Dragon Boat Festival (PDBF)
- official website about this annual September event, based along the South Side Riverfront Park.
- details about the various road races each April / May.
Three Rivers Arts Fest
- summer celebration based at the Hertz Gateway Center, Point State Park and in the Cultural District.
Shopping and Retail
Miracle Mile Shopping Center
- with a directory listing, layout map and information about services, located on the William Penn Highway / Monroeville Boulevard / Mosside Boulevard.
- with details about weekly promotions, dining, entertainment, specialties and attractions, located at 125 West Station Square Drive, next to Smithfield Street.
Pennsylvannia Macaroni Company
- selling premium Italian foods, located at 2010 - 2012 Penn Avenue.
Robert Wholey Market
- a busy indoor seafood market at 1711 Penn Avenue.
Fort Pitt Candy Company
- a popular sweetshop with a huge selection of candies, at 1642 Penn Avenue.
Restaurants and Dining
- 2112 Murray Avenue.
Le Mont Restaurant
- 1114 Grandview Avenue.
Primanti Brothers Restaurant
- 79 South 23rd Street.
Pittsburgh Hotels and Accommodation
Pittsburgh DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
- on One Bigelow Square.
Best Western Parkway Center Inn
- 875 Greentree Road.
Days Inn Pittsburgh
- I-279 / 1150 Banksville Road / Banksville Road.
Comfort Inn Pittsburgh Conference Center
- 699 Rodi Road.
Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh International Airport
- 1111 Airport Boulevard.
Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Pittsburgh Airport
- 5311 Campbells Run Road.
Hampton Inn Pittsburgh / Monroeville
- 3000 Mosside Boulevard, Monroeville.
The Priory Hotel
- 614 Pressley Street.
Pittsburgh Bed and Breakfast Association
- a useful organization with information about local inns.
Pittsburgh International Airport
- official Allegheny County Airport Authority website, with flight information, travel tips and parking.
Car Hire, Taxi, Limo and Railway
- Penn State express buses, shuttles, trailways and travel packages.
- travel information, bus route and services.
Port Authority of Allegheny County
- operator of regional buses and the 'T' light-rail network.
- operated by the Pittsburgh Transportation Group.
Media and Educational
University of Pittsburgh
- often known as simply the 'Pitt', at 159 Riverview Avenue.
La Roche College
- located at 9000 Babcock Boulevard, in the suburb of McCandless.
- a major daily newspaper in the city.
Pittsburgh Tribune Review
- another popular daily newspaper.
- online magazine with topics such as business, finance and education.