Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT) Information
(Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - PA, USA)
The huge complex of Pittsburgh International Airport covers an area of over 10,000 acres / 4,050 hectares. It is located in the city's suburban Findlay Township, some 14 miles / 22 km from the Central Business District. An unusual feature here is the giant Tyrannosaurus Rex skeleton displayed with pride inside one of its two terminals. Conveniently located close to a number of major highways, the facility is a favorite with business travelers to the region.
Inaugurated in 1952, Pittsburgh's airport was an immediate success, serving well over a million passengers in its first year. Nowadays, annual passenger throughput totals over eight million and is still rising, with more than 400 flights daily to domestic destinations within the US
, as well as to Toronto
and other international destinations. All the major US full-service airlines operate fights from here, backed up by a good number of subsidiaries and low-cost operations.
One large terminal bears the brunt of the high number of passengers, along with four concourses. The Midfield Terminal is divided into three dedicated areas - Airside, Landside and Commuter, each serving its own traffic, with the Airside area being the largest. The area between concourses B and C holds the best choice of dining and shopping options.
Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT)
Address: 100 Airport Boulevard, Findlay Township, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, PA, 15231-0370, USA
Tel: +1 412 272 472 3635
Pittsburgh International Airport is located at Junction 53 of the I-376 interstate and the terminus of PA Turnpike 576, within easy reach of a number of additional interstates and fast highways. The journey into the city takes just 30 minutes or so, with this approximate time being dependent on traffic. For onward travel, US-60, US-22 and Interstate I-79 are all within easy reach.
Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT) Guide
- Airport information desks are found in the Landside and Airside areas of the Midfield Terminal, in the Baggage Claim area and Transit lounge, respectively
- ATMs can be found in all the separate terminal areas
- A full-service bank is located in the Landside area, while currency exchange can be found within both the Landside and Airside sectors
- Business and conference facilities, as well as a hotel, are found in the Landside area
- Car rental on offer through Enterprise, Thrifty, Hertz, Avis, Dollar, Budget and National
- Extensive facilities for disabled passengers are provided, together with family assistance restrooms
- The Central Core of the Airside area contains some 35 shops including Bon Voyage, Soxx Shop and Borkstone, offering everything from newspapers, fashion and travel goods, to gifts, souvenirs and chocolates
- A wide choice of full-service restaurants, fast-food outlets, snack bars and coffee shops is offered, including McDonald's, TGI Friday's, Charley's Steakerie, Nature's Kitchen and Subway
- Wi-Fi is available throughout the passenger areas
- The AirMall shopping area in the Airside area boasts over 100 branded retail stores selling at street prices
- A spa service is offered on Concourse A
- Long-term and short-term covered parking is provided (long-term - 3,750 spaces, short-term - 2,100 spaces, extended parking - 7,350 spaces)
Direct access by car to downtown Pittsburgh is via the I-376 West and the Fort Pitt Tunnel, which is linked to the complex by Junction 53. The journey should take 30 minutes outside rush hours. As you drive into the city, you will pass by the Settler's Cabin Country Park, Pennsbury Village, Rosslyn Farms, East Carnegie, Wabash and the outlying neighborhood of Duquesne Heights.
The 28X Airport Flyer bus leaves every 20 minutes from the complex, stopping at rail stations in the city before terminating in central Pittsburgh. A shared shuttle bus service is also provided and offers good value for money.
Taxis and Limos
Two airport-approved metered taxi companies operate from outside the Arrivals hall, namely Checker Cab (tel: +1 412 664 5600) and the Yellow Cab Co. (tel: +1 412 321 8100). There is also a vast choice of limos and other luxury vehicles, where drivers can be booked in advance for extra security and comfort.