Avila Events and Festivals 2014 / 2015
(Avila, Castilla y León, Spain)
Although the city of Avila may well be a little overshadowed by 'neighbouring' Madrid
, there are still plenty of things to do here, particularly during the warmer weather.
One of the earliest and biggest festivals in Avila is Holy Week, which comprises the Semana Santa celebrations and is staged at Easter-time, involving walks around the City Walls. Each year on May 2nd, San Segundo offers further festivities.
The month of October sees the arrival of the festival known locally as the Fiestas de Santa Teresa, where themed events take place over several weeks, often being based around the Plaza Mayor. Visitors at this time of the year can expect live Spanish music, traditional bullfighting, religious parades and local delicacies, culminating in a Bishop's mass on 15th October (the day of Santa Teresa de Jesús) and followed by a procession between the cathedral and the church of Santa Teresa.
There are approximately fourteen accepted public holidays in Spain, which can be acknowledged on either a local or national basis. Listed below are those dates observed in Avila.
National Public Holidays
- 1st January - Año Nuevo / New Year's Day
- 5th January - Epifanía / Epiphany
- 19th March - Dia de San José / St. Joseph's Day
- Late March or early April - Jueves Santo / Maundy Thursday
- Late March or early April - Viernes Santo / Good Friday
- 1st May - Fiesta del Trabajo / Labour Day
- 2nd May - San Segundo Day
- 15th August - La Asunción / Feast of the Assumption
- 12th October - Nacional de España / National Day
- 1st November - Todos los Santos / All Saints' Day
- 6th December - Dia de la Constitución / Constitution Day
- 8th December - La Inmaculada Concepción / Feast of the Immaculate Conception
- 25th December - Navidad / Christmas Day
Avila Special Events 2014 / 2015
Semana Santa (Holy Week)
Starting on Jueves Santo (Maundy Thursday) Easter's Holy Week is celebrated during either March or April and is highlighted by marches.
Early in the morning on Viernes Santo (Good Friday) a procession of sculptures, representing the passion of Christ (pasos), are proudly paraded through Avila.
Occurring in July, Avila's outdoor festival is celebrated with arts, sports and theatrical productions.
Santa Teresa Fiesta
This feast takes place each year in October and serves as Avila's principal festival.
Surrounding Area Events
Candeleda (Avila Province)
- September - Pilgrimage of Our Lady of Chilla