Palma de Mallorca Airport (PMI) Information
(Mallorca / Majorca, Balearic Islands, Spain)
The Balearic Island of Mallorca enjoys a steady flow of sunny traffic from holiday makers, with a high percentage of all its visitors choosing to fly here. Located close to the capital of Palma, the Palma de Mallorca Airport began its life in the 1920s, when a small collection of seaplanes flew from here to deliver post.
Today, the island's airport has grown to cater to just under an average of two million travellers each month, with many passengers flying to and from English, German and Spanish cities. Following a considerable injection of cash, 1997 was the year that the new terminal was completed, allowing a more organised structure of 'modules' to be adopted by the resident airlines, of which there are around 60 in total. Ryanair offers by far the largest selection of onward destinations, followed by Air Berlin, EasyJet, Thomas Cook and Thomson Airways.
Palma de Mallorca Airport / Son Sant Joan Airport (PMI)
Address: Son Sant Joan, 07611 Palma, Mallorca, Spain
Tel: +34 971 789 000
The 'Aeroport de Palma de Mallorca' is situated roughly 11 km / 7 miles to the south-east of central Palma, the island's capital. Four individual modules are based within the terminal complex, being named A, B, C and D.
Palma de Mallorca Airport (PMI) Guide
- Module A - 28 gates, serving Aer Lingus, Bmibaby, British Airways, EasyJet, Flybe, Iberia, Jet2, Monarch, Ryanair, Thomas Cook Airlines and Thomson Airways
- Module B - 8 gates, serving Air Nostrum
- Module C - 33 gates, serving Air Berlin, Condor, EasyJet, Edelweiss Air, Niki and Transavia France
- Module D - 19 gates, serving Air Europa, Air Méditerranée, AlbaStar, Lufthansa, Ryanair, Volotea and Vueling
- Bureau de change
- 24-hour cash machines (ATMs)
- Banks (Banco Popular, Banesto, Caja Madrid and Sa Nostra) and a full-service post office
- Numerous restaurants, cafés, fast-food outlets and bars, including the Bier Garden, Burger King, Café Café, the Cafeteria La Plaza, Delimarché, Farggi, Henry J. Bean's, the Illy Café, Medas Ready to Eat, Natural Break, Telepizza and Warsteiner
- Many first-class shops, including the Airport Market, the Big Apple, Camper / Lottusse, Duty Free, El Corte Inglés, the Express Shop, Fashion & Fun, Lafiore, Prime Gift and Sun Planet
- Tourist information office
- Business facilities are available in the Departures lounge, including three VIP lounges, telephones, fax machines, computers, Internet access, a self-service bar and conference / meeting rooms
- Car hire companies - including Avis, Europcar, Goldcar, Hertz, National Atesa, Record Go and Sixt
- Car park with almost 6,000 parking spaces, including long-term, short-term, express and VIP parking
- Excellent disabled facilities, a pharmacy (farmacia), VIP lounges, lost property, a children's play area, medical 'heart rescue' areas with defibrillators, and various travel agencies (Europalia, Jumbo Tours, Servitours, Transunión Mallorca and Viajes Kontiki)
Tel: +34 971 431 024
Operated by Empresa Municipal de Transports (EMT), buses connect both the port and the city centre (Placa Espanya), departing roughly four times per hour, between 06:15 and 02:30. Bus stops can be found on the Arrivals level, opposite the car park, and make many stops along the route. Direct express buses between Palma and the airport are also available if you are in a rush.
Car rental companies are based within the Arrivals area and offer competitive rates, although prices are generally at their cheapest when booked ahead. Those driving to Palma will be able to reach the island capital in under 20 minutes, with the majority of this route taking in the Autovia de Levante (Ma-19). Both Andratx and Calvia lie to the west of the airport, while to the east is Manacor, and to the south-east, Llucmajor and Campos.
Tel: +34 971 777 777
From the airport, taxis are in good supply and connect Palma and other destinations around the island, departing from the Arrivals level. Supplements are payable per item of luggage, as well as for trips after 21:00 and on bank holidays.