Rotterdam Events and Festivals 2014 / 2015
(Rotterdam, South Holland, Netherlands)
Every month in Rotterdam there are things to do, often including Dutch festivals, sporting events, theatrical productions and parades, starting with the International Film Festival in January.
Rotterdam is a particularly multicultural city and this is clearly reflected in its seasonal festivals and arts celebrations.
It is true to say that many of the very best festivals in Rotterdam take place during the summer season.
In June, look for De Parade, a popular circus tour which arrives in the city to delight visitors with a variety of performances, live music, circus-related events and other fun entertainment.
The Rotterdam Summer Carnival (Zomer Carnaval) is held every year during the last weekend of July, when you can expect parties, colourful processions and plenty of dancing. Another notable festivals at this time of the year is Rotterdam's Summer Stage (Zomerpodium), which begins at the end of July and runs into August. The Zomerpodium features everything from brass bands and comedy gigs, to a rather sumptuous Bollywood Ball.
August sees the arrival of the FFWD Dance Parade, when Rotterdam city centre is transformed into nothing short of an open-air club and processions of decorated floats drive through the streets. With fine weather and great music, the FFWD Dance Parade is one of the most popular festivals in Rotterdam, regularly attracting almost 400,000 spectators and partygoers. Almost as many people also attend the World Harbour Festival (Wereld Havendagen) each September, when historical houses are opened to the public and ship tours offered, followed by fireworks.
Rotterdam National Public Holidays
- New Year's Day (Nieuwjaarsdag) - January 1st
- Good Friday (Goede Vrijdag) - March / April
- Easter Sunday (Eerste Paasdag) - March / April
- Queen's Day (Koninginnedag) - April 30th
- Liberation Day (Bevrijdingsdag) - May 5th
- Ascension Day (Hemelvaartsdag) - 40 days after Easter
- Whit Sunday / White Monday (Eerste Pinksterdag / Tweede Pinksterdag) - Seven weeks after Easter
- Christmas Day / Boxing Day (Eerste Kerstdag / Tweede Kerstdag) - December 25th / 26th