Cannes Life and Visitor Travel Tips
(Cannes, Alpes-Maritimes, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur, France)
Life in Cannes is extremely variable and depends very much upon the time of the year. Generally a relaxing and pleasant coastal resort, many holiday makers from France, Europe and beyond travel to Cannes each year to soak up the sun at one of its multitude of sandy beaches.
When May arrives, the pace of life changes dramatically, prior to the start of the world-famous Cannes Film Festival. Huge crowds of tourists turn up at this time of the year, hoping for a glimpse of their favourite movie star, or maybe even an autograph or photograph.
Tourism and Tourist Information
For the main source of tourist information and travel tips, pay a visit to the Cannes Tourist Office, which is located on the ground floor of the Palais de Festivals et des Congrès, next to the Place de la Mérimée.
Further information is available at the Cannes Tourist Office Annexe, which lies on the northern side of the city, next to the train station and just a short walk from the Place de la Gambetta.
Cannes Tourist Office
Address: Ground Floor, Palais des Festivals, 1 Boulevard La Croisette, Cannes, France, FR
Tel: +33 04 9299 8422
Open hours: July and August, daily - 09:00 to 20:00; September to June, Monday to Saturday - 09:00 to 19:00
Cannes Tourist Office Annexe
Address: Boulevard d'Alsace, Cannes, France, FR
Tel: +33 04 9399 1977
Open hours: Monday to Saturday - 09:00 to 19:00
Language and Dialect
Modern French comprises a number of different dialects and is spoken with strong regional accents. Any attempt to speak in French will be greatly appreciated by the locals and some useful simple phrases include:
- Hello - bonjour
- What is your name? - comment vous appelez-vous?
- Where can I find a cheap hotel? - où est-ce qu'on peut trouver un hôtel pas cher?
- Please would you write down the address - est-ce que vous pourriez écrire l'adress, s'il vous plait
- Where is the toilet? - où sont les toilettes?
- How much does it cost? - quel est le prix?
- Banks and Money - a large group of banks are to be found centred along both the Rue Buttura and the Rue d'Antibes
- Beaches - the central beaches along the Boulevard de la Croisette are divided off for hotel guests, where loungers and parasols are provided at a cost. The main free beaches in Cannes are to be found along the Boulevard du Midi and the Boulevard Jean Hibert
- Books - the Cannes English Bookshop is located on the Rue Bivouac Napoléon and is a great place to pick up some English-language novels and maps
- Currency - the local currency throughout France is the Euro (EUR) and no longer the French Franc (FRF)
- Hotels - during the Cannes Film Festival each May, accommodation becomes both scarce and expensive, and so if you are visiting at this time of the year, book well ahead
- Internet Access - a number of cyber cafes are sited within central Cannes and close to the train station
- Movie Locales - look out for the 'Itineraries of Shooting Locations' brochure at the tourist office, which offers the chance to visit some impressive sites around the area, which have appeared in major movies
- Post Office - the main post office can be found along the Rue Bivouac Napoléon and features a cashpoint