Ipswich Links - Tourism and Attractions Links
(Ipswich, Suffolk, England, UK)
Having grown up around the River Orwell estuary has meant that Ipswich has long been a sizeable and successful town, with a lengthy history stretching all the way back to the days of the Romans. Today, this interesting county town of Suffolk is perhaps best known for its football club and lively entertainment district named simply the 'Waterfront' or 'Wet Dock'.
Development of the Ipswich Docks began in earnest in the 1970s, although the late 1990s and early 2000s were a time of real change, when many luxury apartments came along on the sites of old grain stores. Also at this time, the Old Custom House was fully restored and the Waterfront Conference Centre opened for business. Particularly notable attractions around the Waterfront include the Jerwood Dance Centre, the Salthouse Harbour Hotel, the University Campus Suffolk (UCS) and boat trips on the Orwell Lady. There are numerous bars and restaurants offering views of the docks, while two national cycle routes also pass by the action.
The architecture of Ipswich is certainly contrasting and visitors can expect to see a real mish-mash of styles. These range from Saxon-style cottages with half-timbered exteriors and narrow red-brick Victorian houses, to high-rise blocks from the sixties and swanky, contemporary developments with shiny facades.
Travel and Tourism
- Ipswich Tourist Information Centre, St. Stephen's Church, St. Stephen's Lane, IP1 1DP.
Ipswich Bourough Council
- Grafton House, 15-17 Russell Road, IP1 2DE.
Ipswich Transport Museum
- Old Trolleybus Depot, Cobham Road, IP3 9JD.
- Pannington Hall Lane, Wherstead, IP9 2AR.
Portman Road Stadium
- Ipswich Town Football Club, Portman Road, IP1 2DA.
Baylham House Rare Breeds Farm
- Mill Lane, Baylham, Suffolk, IP6 8LG.
Parks and open spaces
- information about Ipswich green spaces including Christchurch Park, Holywells Park and Orwell Country Park.
New Wolsey Theatre
- Civic Drive, IP1 2AS.
Regent Theatre and Corn Exchange
- Regent Theatre, 3 St. Helens Street, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP4 1HE and Corn Exchange, King Street, IP1 1DH.
Orwell River Cruises
- Orwell Quay, IP3 0RD.
City Sightseeing Bus Tours
- starting from Tower Ramparts, IP1 3BB.
Blue Badge Guides
- Tourist Information Centre (TIC), St. Stephen's Church, St. Stephen's Lane, IP1 1DP.
St. Margaret's Church
- Bolton Lane, IP4 2BT.
Unitarian Meeting House
- Friars Street, IP1 1TD.
Christchurch Mansion, Park and Wolsey Art Gallery
- Soane Street, IP4 2BE.
- High Street, IP1 3QH.
Buttermarket Shopping Centre
- Saint Stephens Lane, City Centre, IP1 1DT.
Tower Ramparts Shopping Centre
- Tavern Street, IP1 3BB.
Arlingtons Cafe-bar and Brasserie with Deli Takeaway
- 13 Museum Street, IP1 1HE.
Jaipur Indian Cuisine
- family-run restaurant, 103-105 Penshurst Road, IP3 8QB.
Waterfront Bar Bistro
- family-run restaurant, 15 Regatta Quay, IP4 1FH.
The Brewery Tap
- Cliff Road, Cliff Quay, IP3 0AT.
The Sorrel Horse Inn and Public House
- Norwich Road, Barham, IP6 0PG.
Ipswich Hotel and Accommodation
Hotel Novotel Ipswich Centre
- Grey Friars Road, IP1 1UP.
Hintlesham Hall Hotel
- Hintlesham, IP8 3NS.
The Swan At Lavenham
- High Street, Lavenham, Suffolk, CO10 9QA.
The Salthouse Harbour Hotel
- Neptune Quay, IP4 1AX.
- 62 Tuddenham Road, IP4 2SP.
- Nacton, IP10 0JT.
Wattisham Hall Holiday Cottages
- Wattisham, IP7 7JX.
Car Hire, Taxi, Limo and Railway
- 549A Wherstead Road, IP2 8LR.
- Travel Information, Tickets and Fares, Destinations and Offers.
- Burrell Road, IP2 8AL.
Bus and Coach
- Timetables, Route Maps and Fares.
First Suffolk and Norfolk
- Journey Planning, Tickets and Travel Information.
- Old Cattle Market bus station.
Port and Ferry
Harwich International Port
- Parkeston, Harwich, Essex, CO12 4SR.
Port of Felixstowe
- The Dock, Felixstowe, Suffolk, IP11 3SY.
- Hounslow, Greater London, TW6 2GW.
- Crawley, West Sussex, RH6 0NP.
- Enterprise House, Bassingbourne Road, Stansted, Essex, CM24 1QW.
- Airport Way, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU2 9LY.
Norwich International Airport
- Amsterdam Way, Norwich, Norfolk, NR6 6J.
- daily evening local newspaper.
East Anglian Daily Times
- local daily newspaper for Essex and Suffolk.